Murray State finds new head football coach

Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics.

Murray State Football officially has a new head coach, the University announced on Wednesday.

Jody Wright takes over as the program’s 20th head coach in history, following the departure of former head coach Dean Hood. Wright has been hailed by former coaches and players as an excellent person and coach.

“When we began the process of identifying the next head football coach at Murray State, we knew that we needed to look for a relentless recruiter, a proven winner, someone who can identify and develop talent and someone who could build and maintain positive relationships with our student-athletes.,” Murray State Athletic Director Nico Yantko said in a statement Wednesday. “Jody Wright checks every one of those boxes”

Wright has an extensive resume, winning four National Championships at the Division 1 FBS level. His coaching career began in 2002 as a student assistant at Jacksonville State where the team won the Ohio Valley Conference in 2003 and 2004.

He worked on coaching staffs across the FBS level, such as the University of Alabama, Mississippi State University, University of Alabama-Birmingham, and most recently, the University of South Carolina, where he was a tight ends coach.

“In Jody, we know that we have chosen the right man at the right time to lead the Racers. I know I speak for all of Racer Nation when I say that we are beyond excited to welcome Jody, his wife Meredith, and their three children, to Murray,” Yantko said..

Wright also had a message for Racer fans in the Universities statement today, saying how excited he is to be a part of the Murray State program.

“There is an unbelievably rich football tradition at Murray State and I cannot think of a better time to take the reins of this program than right now entering the 100th season,” Wright said.