Letter to the Editor

Jill Smith

The Kentucky Senate held a hearing this past Friday to discuss the legislative proposal for Murray State University (MSU) to open a School of Veterinary Medicine.  Both the Senate and the House have bills to change existing state law and more than half the members in each chamber are in favor of the proposal.  In fact, the House has already passed its bill. Unfortunately no vote was taken in the Senate.  Why the hold up?

Dr. Bob Jackson, MSU President, and Dr. Brian Parr, Dean of the MSU Hutson School of Agriculture, attended the hearing and laid out the reasons a Veterinary School is needed in the Commonwealth and why MSU should be that school.  They pointed out the synergy with the Breathitt Veterinary Center and how the existing MSU Vet Tech program would also benefit.

MSU first started the process over 50 years ago.  Now is the time for our laws to be changed to allow the program to begin.  Even the University of Kentucky indicated it would not stand in the way.

Kentucky needs to have a School of Veterinary Medicine.  It is a disgrace that our agriculture and equine industries must rely on non-Kentucky trained veterinarians.  I have and will continue to vigorously and vociferously support MSU in this endeavor.  Our Senators must no longer stand idle and let this obviously needed opportunity pass by.

Lynn Bechler

State Senate District 1 Candidate