Racers lose to Bison, losing streak extends to four

Rebeca Mertins Chiodini
Junior Outside Linebacker Chris Hill Jr. walks off the field after a loss.

Murray State’s defense was no match for the North Dakota State offense as the Bison defeated the Racers 38-6.

The Bison’s offense combined for 377 yards, rushing for 202 yards and two touchdowns. The Racers managed 164 yards on offense, but settled for two field goals for their only points of the game.

Senior quarterback Cam Miller ran all over the Racers’ defense in the first half and scored the Bison’s first two touchdowns with his legs to put the Bison up 14-0 in the first quarter.

The Bison finished the quarter with a passing touchdown from Miller to senior wide receiver Braylon Henderson to put the Bison up 21-0 heading into the second quarter.

North Dakota State’s passing offense struck again in the second quarter with a 15-yard touchdown pass from Miller to senior wide receiver Zach Mathis.

The Racers got on the board before half as freshman kicker James London nailed a 53-yard field goal, the sixth longest in Murray State history and the longest in Missouri Valley Football this season. At halftime, the Bison led the Racers 28-3.

After being held to a punt early in the second half, the Racers punted away and senior cornerback Jayden Price returned the punt 66 yards for the last touchdown of the game, putting the Bison up 35-3.

Sophomore kicker Matt Maldonado added a few more points to the Racers’ tally with a 39-yard field goal before the fourth quarter.

As the clock was winding down, the Bison put one more field goal through to end the game, defeating the Racers 38-6.

Racer sophomore quarterback DJ Williams passed for 106 yards and threw an interception in the first half. He went down injured during the third quarter but returned to finish the game.

Miller passed for 193 yards and two touchdowns, and led the Bison in rushing with 55 yards and two touchdowns. 

Murray State falls to 2-6 overall this season, and 1-4 in conference games. The Racers return to Roy Stewart Stadium for their next matchup against North Dakota. Game time is set for 1 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 4.