Clarke poses for graduation pictures with his dog.
Non-traditional students diversify campus
Madison Miller, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

Murray State is a campus of diverse individuals from various cultural, situational and socioeconomic backgrounds. For soon-to-be Murray State...

Tucker stands with their PowerPoint Presentation after their history capstone presentation.
Student shares inspiration behind project
Makayla Mckinzie, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

A Murray State student used self-discovery as the foundation for their capstone project, “Transcending The Lens.”  Taylor Tucker, a senior...

Racers’ homecoming spoiled by Salukis’ offense

Jako
Sophomore quarterback DJ Williams scrambles for a large gain.

Murray State’s homecoming saw fireworks, but it was Southern Illinois who provided them as the Salukis defeated the Racers 27-6.

It was the fourth-most-attended game in Murray State football history as Tent City surrounded the field for the annual game.

The Salukis were quick to take the lead, as senior running back Justin Strong broke free on the first play of the game for an 80-yard touchdown run.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback DJ Williams led the Racers down the field on the following drive but threw an interception to senior cornerback DJ Johnson in the end zone after making it to the SIU nine-yard line.

SIU capitalized on the turnover with a 21-yard field goal, taking a 10-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The Racers answered with a field goal of their own early in the second quarter, cutting the lead to seven points. However, it was the closest they would get to the lead for the rest of the game.

After forcing a fumble and recovering at the SIU 26-yard line, the Racers had a chance to tie the game but failed to get into the end zone three straight times while on the one-yard line.

The Salukis then went downfield and made another field goal to make the score 13-3 at halftime.

Halfway through the third quarter, the Salukis struck again with a nine-yard touchdown run from sophomore wide receiver Vinson Davis, extending their lead to 17 points.

The Racers tacked on their second field goal early in the fourth quarter, but sophomore running back Lashaun Lester ran in the Salukis’ final touchdown of the game to defeat the Racers 27-6.

Williams finished with 157 passing yards but threw two interceptions. Williams led the way in rushing as well, scrambling for 12 yards. As a team, the Racers rushed for 28 yards.

Senior quarterback Nic Baker threw for 137 yards. The Salukis rushed for 270 yards and three touchdowns in the game. Strong led the way with 128 rushing yards, and Lester followed with 85 yards.

Murray State fell to 2-4 on the season and 1-2 in conference play. The Racers take the road this weekend as they head to Springfield, Missouri, to play Missouri State. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 21.