Clarke poses for graduation pictures with his dog.
Non-traditional students diversify campus
Madison Miller, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

Murray State is a campus of diverse individuals from various cultural, situational and socioeconomic backgrounds. For soon-to-be Murray State...

Tucker stands with their PowerPoint Presentation after their history capstone presentation.
Student shares inspiration behind project
Makayla Mckinzie, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

A Murray State student used self-discovery as the foundation for their capstone project, “Transcending The Lens.”  Taylor Tucker, a senior...

PREVIEW: Football prepares for top-25 matchup

Rebeca Mertins Chiodini
Sophomore tight end Cole Rusk makes a catch and runs for a touchdown.

Following a 30-28 win on Family Weekend, the Murray State football team heads north to take on 15th-ranked South Dakota.

Setting the record straight

The Racers picked up their second win on Sept. 30 against Indiana State, giving them a 2-2 record so far this season. This put Murray State at 1-0 in conference play, marking a historic first Missouri Valley Football Conference game.

South Dakota enters the week with a 3-1 record this season, including a win over the second ranked North Dakota State on Sept. 30. That win moved South Dakota up to 15th in the FCS rankings and gave them their first conference win of the season.

Historically, Murray State and South Dakota have never played each other. The move to the MFVC for Murray State gives the Racers a chance to face teams they have never played before, and this is the first case of new matchups.

Keys to the Game

Murray State’s offense was rather balanced against the Sycamores in week 5, rushing for 112 yards and passing for 146 yards. While the defense gave up 394 total yards, they also forced a safety early in the game and a pick-six later in the game. 

When going up against a top-25 team, one could say that everything is a key to the game. But if the underdog wants to keep up, the offense has to be clicking. It’s possible the Racers may be able to keep the game respectable with how sophomore quarterback DJ Williams has played so far this season.

South Dakota has had troubles with defense, allowing more yards than they have gained this season. However, the Coyotes have scored 33 more points than they have allowed, and if it weren’t for their 35-10 week one loss to Missouri, those numbers might look better for the Coyotes.

What might be the key to victory for South Dakota is its defense. It’s what has kept the Coyotes in games, and has allowed for the offense to up their score differential this season.

Player to watch

Sophomore tight end Cole Rusk has slowly made his way into the rotation for the Racers, leading the team with three catches and 58 yards with a touchdown against the Sycamores. He also leads the team in catches this year with 12, receiving 196 yards and is tied in receiving two touchdowns.

Junior wide receiver Carter Bell has been the weapon of choice for sophomore quarterback Aidan Bouman and the Coyotes. He has caught 17 passes for 274 yards and two touchdowns, leading the team in all three stats. 

Where to watch

South Dakota hosts Murray State in The Dakota Dome on Saturday, Oct. 7. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. Fans can watch the game on ESPN+.