Clarke poses for graduation pictures with his dog.
Non-traditional students diversify campus
Madison Miller, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

Murray State is a campus of diverse individuals from various cultural, situational and socioeconomic backgrounds. For soon-to-be Murray State...

Tucker stands with their PowerPoint Presentation after their history capstone presentation.
Student shares inspiration behind project
Makayla Mckinzie, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

A Murray State student used self-discovery as the foundation for their capstone project, “Transcending The Lens.”  Taylor Tucker, a senior...

Preview: Football hosts 1,000th game

The Racers take the field for a home game during the 2022 season. Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics.

History is in the making at Roy Stewart Stadium as the Murray State football team prepares to host the Presbyterian College Blue Hose on Saturday.

The game kicks off the Racers’ 99th season and marks the 1,000th football game in Murray State history.

Keys To The Game

Murray State finished the 2022 season with a 2-9 record, winning two home games late in the season against Tennessee State University and Robert Morris University. The Racers were outscored last season 167-405.

Presbyterian College finished the 2022 season with a 1-10 record, picking up its only win in week two against Virginia University of Lynchburg. The Blue Hose were outscored 469-173 173-469 across the season.

The key to the game for either side is defense, as both teams gave up more than 400 points last season. A good defensive game could be the jumpstart for these teams to have a good season.

Players To Watch

Sophomore quarterback DJ Williams scrambles for a first down against Texas Tech. Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics.

Sophomore quarterback DJ Williams makes his return to the field for the Racers this season after suffering a leg injury in the first game of the 2022 season against Texas Tech University. Williams was named Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the Year in 2021 after rushing for 532 yards and six touchdowns, as well as passing for 1,020 yards and three touchdowns. He was 8-16 passing against Texas Tech with 207 yards and a touchdown before getting injured just before halftime.

Sophomore wide receiver Dominic Kibby was the leading receiver for the Blue Hose in the 2022 season, with 796 yards and seven touchdowns. Kibby earned All Pioneer Football League Second Honors and was named to the Hero Sports FCS Freshman All-American lineup. Entering his second season, Kibby looks to take another step forward.

A look at the… Hose?

When one hears the Blue Hose, they would probably think of a garden hose. However, when they see the mascot, Scotty the Scotsman, it starts to make more sense. According to the Presbyterian athletics site, sports writers always referred to them as the “Blue Stockings” because of the blue socks the teams wore. Writers would shorten it to “Hose” or “Socks” later on, before the student body voted “Blue Hose” to be the official nickname of the school.

Kickoff

The Racers host the Blue Hose for week one at Roy Stewart Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 2.