OVC Board of Presidents postpones competition

The OVC Board of Presidents postponed fall competition until the spring semester. (Photo by Blake Sandlin/TheNews)

The Ohio Valley Conference has effectively postponed the competition of most Olympic sports until Sept. 17. 

The OVC Board of Presidents decided to hold off on intercollegiate competition of men’s and women’s cross country, golf, tennis, soccer and volleyball until Sept. 17. 

The OVC added all competitions for baseball and softball will also be pushed back until Sept. 17. The only sport that is exempt of this postponement at this time is football, which will proceed as scheduled due to contractual circumstances. 

The reasoning behind the delay is founded in the OVC’s expectations for campuses to utilize the additional time to prepare for the new health guidelines that have been put in place by the NCAA’s Resocialization of College Sports Guidelines. 

The OVC publicly expects winter and spring sports to progress as usual. Fall athletes are still permitted to train and practice as soon as they are back on campus in accordance with the additional safety protocol.