MESS plans for new semester

File Photo The Murray Environmental Student Society meets 5:30 p.m. every Thursday on the Carr Health lawn.
File Photo
The Murray Environmental Student Society meets 5:30 p.m. every Thursday on the Carr Health lawn.

On any given Thursday the Murray Environmental Student Society, MESS, can be found sitting in a circle on the lawn in front of the Carr Health building.

Former MESS president Allison Crawford led the first meeting of the semester where members shared topics of interest. Topics included sustainability projects and ways to ‘go green.’

Some of the issues were students interested in MESS pursuing included work against mountain-top removal, efforts to reduce the number of cigarette butts discarded around Murray State’s campus and an informational round table to discuss international environmental issues.

Member Carly Cavitt said a few of the activities the club will participate in this year will include camping trips, going to Powershift, and work on the Sustainable Projects Fund.

Cavitt said Powershift is one of the events she is most excited about for the coming year.

Powershift is a youth climate rally held in Pittsburgh, Pa., in October. During the rally there will be workshops and speakers who will focus on global climate change.

“As of now, there are about 100 Kentucky youth going to Powershift,” Cavitt said. “We want to try to get as many Murray students to go as we can. It’s how we push forward and make our voices heard.”

Cavitt said the students are also helping with the on campus farmer’s market that is co-sponsored by MESS and Main Street Murray.

The market will be on campus the first three Tuesdays in September and is promoting local farmers and vendors.

MESS began in 2006 as a mix between a recreation club and a recycling club. Since that time the club has expanded its influence and size and improved every year.

Currently MESS is working on the Sustainable Projects Fund. A project which would fund and contribute to providing renewable energy on campus as well as the weatherizing of buildings.

Crawford was nominated to serve as president of MESS for a second year, alongside co-president nominee Cavitt.

Crawford said she loves being involved in MESS, and she is passionate about the work she does with the club.

Said Crawford: “I want to be active in helping society move into a more sustainable way of living.”

MESS meets every Thursday at 5:30 p.m. on the lawn of Carr Health. Crawford said anyone is welcome to join the group if they have an interest in helping the environment and the University.

Story by Kate Russell, Contributing Writer