New telehealth counseling option set for fall
Bri Hunter, Editor in Chief • May 14, 2024

The University is extending on-campus mental health services for the next academic year through a company called TimelyCare.  TimelyCare...

PHOTOS: Baseball sweeps Valpo in last home series
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photo Editor • May 14, 2024

The Racers swept the Valparaiso Beacons in their last home series of the season. With these three wins the Racers move into a 34-18 record...

Senior art exhibits express personal journeys

The+senior+art+exhibits+have+entered+the+Clara+Eagle+Gallery%2C+with+the+graduation+requirement+being+split+into+two+rounds.+
The senior art exhibits have entered the Clara Eagle Gallery, with the graduation requirement being split into two rounds.

With finals right around the corner, it is time for the senior art majors to fulfill an important graduation requirement: the senior practicum exhibitions.  

The senior practicum exhibitions feature artwork from all the graduating seniors pursuing their fine arts degrees. This semester, the event has two rounds, with the first on April 12-18 and the second opening on April 26 and closing on May 2. 

The exhibitions require senior art majors to showcase their recent work completed during their studies at Murray State in concurrent or small group forms. 

Maggie Quertermous, senior graphic design major, said she has been thinking about her exhibit, “Buried Treasure,” for almost a year. 

“I wanted to create something that not only felt welcoming but also exciting, somewhere that potential pet parents would go and feel excited about adopting an animal instead of just wanting to get their new animal out of a depressing environment,” Quertermous said. “My favorite thing about my exhibit is how I was able to go to the Mayfield-Graves County Animal Shelter and take photos of some of their dogs so that I could make real adoption posters for real dogs that are currently looking for a home.”

Quertermous first envisioned the exhibit after adopting her dog in May 2023. Since then, the project has consumed her world, with Quertermous working on the project three hours a day. The exhibit features an optimistic view of how animal shelters could be instead of the typically depressing and dull environment that many animal shelters maintain. 

Benson Greenwell, senior graphic design major, said his exhibit, “Springlot, USA,” could be described as ‘tourist trapped.’

“To me, ‘Springlot, USArepresents a new beginning — a fresh start,” Greenwell said. “It represents going down the beaten path and taking that first step towards the future.”

“Springlot, USA” is a digital graphic design display inspired by Greenwell’s trips and the many similar billboard advertisements he has seen along highways. 

“Everything I have learned has led up to this moment,” Greenwell said. “From the basic fundamentals learned in my freshman year to the advanced tips and tricks I am still learning today… All I have learned during my time at Murray went into this exhibition.”

Though the first set of exhibitions has already left Clara Eagle Gallery, the second round of exhibits will open on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m. The exhibits are free and open to the public.