Cabaret the musical is to be performed from April 25-28.
'Cabaret' musical offers glimpse into 1920s Berlin
MacKenzie Rogers, Lifestyle Editor • April 26, 2024

The department of global languages and theatre arts and the department of music teamed up together to present the musical “Cabaret” from...

VIDEO: Lovett Live returns after pandemic absence
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photography Editor • April 26, 2024

In the pre-COVID era, music business students at Murray State University produced and hosted Lovett Live, a night of music in the historic auditorium...

Parker’s passion fuels successful business

Owner+Melissa+Parker+provides+insight+into+her+journey+in+the+business+world.+
Samantha VanHorn
Owner Melissa Parker provides insight into her journey in the business world.

The Mane Event Salon is a woman-owned business that has been in Murray for the last 36 years. Melissa Parker, the current owner of the salon, took over in 2000. 

Mane Event opened its doors in September 1988 under the ownership of Wanda Brown and Brenda Lawson. Parker, who graduated from cosmetology school in 1986, started working at Mane Event shortly after its opening. 

Parker said her interest in cosmetology began at a young age.

“My mother was going to do that,” Parker said. “And so she had an interest in that, but it was way before I was born, but it must have been through her.”

When she was a freshman in high school, Parker started to highlight her father’s hair.

“It was kind of like a natural thing for me,” Parker said. “I just enjoyed the new way of making someone happy, just by changing their haircut is a pretty powerful thing.”

Parker had always wanted to own her own business, which led her to take ownership of The Mane Event in 2000. When both of the previous owners retired, she was quick to step in and take on the full-time role.

“I was always there, and I wanted to own my own business, and it was the right thing to do,” Parker said. “I was very fully invested in my clients and taking care of people who I met.”

The support from the community not just regarding the salon, but also Parker, has never been short. Community support being one of key factors, into the spark of the salon. 

“I’ve always felt a lot of community support,” Parker said. “I feel like I’ve never been slighted in support because I was a woman.”

Some of Parker’s clients have been with her since she first began working at the salon, illustrating her connection to her clients and the wider community. 

“This industry is a very special place to work in; not many people let you enter their personal space,” Parker said. “In this industry, you have the power to change and brighten someone’s day, not knowing what that person walks in carrying on their shoulders. Being able to be there to lift them up, and make them feel confident about themselves, is what makes this industry so special.” 

This industry is important to so many people, younger generations should realize the impact it has on people. 

“Just be a listener, even if their haircut just a was trim, and you didn’t change their haircut, that conversation alone has helped them,” Parker said. 

Along with working and running the salon full-time, Parker also travels to different beauty schools in the surrounding areas to talk to them about her journey working in cosmetology, hoping to aid future cosmetologists on their journeys. 

View Comments (3)