Junior outfielder Dan Tauken hits the ball.
PHOTOS: Baseball drops midweek game to SEMO
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photo Editor • April 18, 2024

After coming off a winning weekend away, the Murray State Baseball team lost in what started as a close battle in their midweek match up...

Beyoncés newest studio album Cowboy Carter brings discussions on what should be deemed country.
The News Reviews: 'Cowboy Carter' by Beyoncé
Ben Overby, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Beyoncé’s divisive new album “Cowboy Carter” is an uneven yet satisfying odyssey through the scope of American music. I wrote a previous...

Best on-campus napping spot: Waterfield and Pogue Library

Waterfield+and+Pogue+libraries+offer+students+comfortable+seating%2C+perfect+for+studying+or+naps.+
Kristopher Fister
Waterfield and Pogue libraries offer students comfortable seating, perfect for studying or naps.

Sometimes, all students need is a solid 15-minute nap between two classes, and there are no better places for such naps than the two University libraries, Waterfield and Pogue. 

In the 2024 “Best of” survey, these two libraries were voted the best napping spots on campus.

Dana Thompson, the assistant dean of libraries, said students napping in the library is just one of the few ways the libraries contribute to students’ overall sense of well-being. 

“The libraries are honored to be chosen and happy that students feel like the library is a safe place for them to come,” Thompson said, “regardless of whether… they are studying or napping.”

Waterfield has multiple floors, each with various noise levels and places to study. As a silent study space, the upper floor is perfect for students wishing to study or destress between classes away from the noisier lower levels. 

Pogue offers a more historical setting with grand reading rooms and uninterrupted quiet, making it, too, a great place for a lengthy study session or a nap. 

Mikaela McChristian, an English secondary education major, said she seldomly naps in the library, but it has been a solid experience when she has.

“I would have to have somebody there [to know] that nobody was going to take my stuff,” McChristian said. “Murray is a pretty friendly place, [so] I feel like nobody would mess with me if I were asleep.” 

While some students prefer not to sleep outside of their dorm rooms, when the need to sleep hits, the libraries are there with comfortable couches and quiet.