Redshirt freshman guard Zoe Stewart defends an Indiana State player.
Women's basketball player arrested
Jakob Milani, Co-Editor-In-Chief/Sports Editor • May 3, 2024

Murray State women’s basketball player Zoe Stewart was arrested early Thursday morning on assault charges. Police were called about potential...

Vogel goes to hug Hawthrone after hitting a homerun.
Baseball sweeps mid-week series
Jonah Morgan, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

The Murray State baseball team played a two-game series in the middle of the week against the Skyhawks of UT Martin and they were able to take...

Women's basketball player arrested

Baseball sweeps mid-week series

Graduation photos beyond the gates

MacKenzie Rogers
Without the iconic Murray State gates, where should students flock to get their graduation photos?

Students at Murray State flock to a specific set of locations across campus when it comes to taking their graduation photos; one of the more popular locations, the Murray State gates, has recently become out of commission. Without this iconic location, where should graduating seniors go to claim the best graduation photos?

While Murray State has many iconic locations, from the clock tower to the quad, students have historically navigated their photos around some of the most visually recognizable landmarks around campus. From a shot featuring Pogue Library in the background to the steps of Lovett Auditorium, the Quad has had its fair share of photoshoots, but so has the science complex and the Murray State gates. Though these places are classic, everyone takes their photos there. 

Jorden Powell, senior psychology major, expressed disappointment at the gates being unavailable for their graduation photos. 

“You see the gates everywhere in Murray. It’s the first thing you see,” Powell said. “[With the gates] being down, it takes that iconicness away from it.”

Graduation photos can capture the essence of attending the University and give you a physical reminder of your time on campus. There are hundreds of little spots whose photogenic natures are underappreciated.

Wilson Hall, one of the oldest buildings on campus, features a historical backdrop for a different assortment of graduation photos. The Arboretum is a lovely place to get some nature shots and is especially good for agriculture students. The Shoe Tree, a classroom or the inside of Lovett Auditorium are other good options, but the random spots around campus truly are endless. 

Emma Cook, junior nursing major, said she has been thinking about where she wants to take her graduation photos. 

“I have thought about it a little bit because we have a very pretty campus,” Cook said. “I’ve seen some people take some beautiful photos on the steps of Wells Hall.”

Even though almost every student will step foot into Faculty Hall at least once before their graduation, other buildings across campus oriented around specific studies are often appreciated by the students taught within their walls. 

Grace Haynie, junior nursing major, said she would likely take her graduation photos around Mason Hall, which houses the School of Nursing and Health Professions. While Mason Hall might not be the first choice for some students, for others, it is the perfect spot. 

From Wells Hall to (hopefully again soon) the iconic Murray State gates, there are hundreds of places for students to get their perfect graduation photos. Keep an eye open for the special place for you on or around campus; you might be posing there eventually.