Clarke poses for graduation pictures with his dog.
Non-traditional students diversify campus
Madison Miller, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

Murray State is a campus of diverse individuals from various cultural, situational and socioeconomic backgrounds. For soon-to-be Murray State...

Tucker stands with their PowerPoint Presentation after their history capstone presentation.
Student shares inspiration behind project
Makayla Mckinzie, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

A Murray State student used self-discovery as the foundation for their capstone project, “Transcending The Lens.”  Taylor Tucker, a senior...

Lighting up the Dorms

A+little+Christmas+tree+is+more+than+enough+to+light+up+the+dorm.+
MacKenzie Rogers
A little Christmas tree is more than enough to light up the dorm.

Though you might not be in the dorms long into the Christmas season, why should that keep you from decorating your space before winter break begins? We get it; no one wants to buy expensive decorations if they’ll only be up for a week or two, but let me propose that you could make your dorm feel festive for only $20 or less.

A Christmas Tree

If you are going to decorate your dorm for Christmas, then you have to consider getting a Christmas tree. It doesn’t have to be a full-sized one, as those simply take up way too much space to fit in a small dorm room. Instead, think about visiting Five Below, where you can get a four-foot tree for $5.55. Not only will you be saving money and space but also manage to bring in some Christmas magic. 

But it’s not really a true Christmas tree without some flashy lights or festive ornaments. A pack of 16 small ornaments costs $1.50 at Five Below, and you can get a pack of tree lights at Walmart for $3. While a tree will make the room feel more festive, why stop there?

A Gift-Wrapped Door

If you are one of those people who loves to decorate then consider gift wrapping your door. A fun and creative way to cheaply decorate your door to fit the Christmas vibes is to buy a roll of wrapping paper with a fun pattern on it and wrap it around your door. If you want to spice it up a little bit more, consider buying some ribbon to create a bow similar to that of a Christmas present.

Pillow time

You guessed right, festive pillows! If you want to get something that can be used beyond the Christmas season, then consider getting winter-themed pillows that can satisfy both the Christmas and winter themes. From snowflakes to flannel patterns, there are plenty of pillows in both nearby and online stores that won’t break the bank. 

Furry Friends 

If you happen to have an ESA with you here in the dorms, consider spreading some holiday joy through themed pet items. Festive sweaters, toys and Christmas-themed beds are available at online retailers like Chewy. There is so much to offer our furry friends this holiday season, so why not include them in our holiday fun?

If you weren’t a big fan of any of those ideas, then you could get simple wreaths for your door for $5 or buy matching stockings for you and your suitemate. Decorate the walls with tinsel or buy glitter-covered cone trees to put on the window sill.