New telehealth counseling option set for fall
Bri Hunter, Editor in Chief • May 14, 2024

The University is extending on-campus mental health services for the next academic year through a company called TimelyCare.  TimelyCare...

PHOTOS: Baseball sweeps Valpo in last home series
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photo Editor • May 14, 2024

The Racers swept the Valparaiso Beacons in their last home series of the season. With these three wins the Racers move into a 34-18 record...

Studying strategies to survive finals week

Finals is upon us. Time to figure out some successful studying strategies.

As we near the end of the semester, students face the most dreaded part of it: Finals Week. With the week approaching so quickly, some students have already locked down their study methods ahead of the tests. 

Most people would think students choose note cards to help them study efficiently, but some students use different methods. 

Masha Streb, freshman public relations, said her preferred way of studying is to rewrite her notes beforehand and then review what she had. 

Abby Lonswau, freshman special education major, said she writes her notes in different writing materials. Usually, she will write important notes in highlighter or marker to help her remember. She also said she draws little doodles near certain notes or paragraphs to help highlight their importance. 

Lonswau said she recommends finding a place you feel comfortable studying in, whether that be the residential colleges, the zen garden near the Fine Arts Building or anywhere you feel like you can focus. 

Melony Shemberger, associate professor of journalism and mass communication, said she would encourage students to time how long they study. 

“Time how long you study for. For example, if you study for about 30 minutes, take a five or ten-minute break, then get back to studying,” Shemberger said. 

Alexander Ebling, advising and tutoring specialist, said it’s important to manage your time well.

Start as early as you can. That way, you have time to memorize things that you would otherwise forget while you’re taking the test,” Ebling said. “Don’t wait to study right before the test starts.” 

In my opinion, I believe that we are all guilty of doing this, and it rarely ever led to a one-hundred on anything, and because of that, he advised against it. 

Ebling said he would recommend getting plenty of rest and hydrating the night before an exam.  

Another very important method of studying is taking breaks. Much like how the body needs breaks from exercising, the brain also needs a break from studying. Otherwise, it is easy to get burnt out. 

Time management is extremely important when studying. Managing the amount of time between studying and taking breaks will greatly affect how well the information is retained. If the timer is set between 50 to 90 minutes of studying, it is recommended to take 10 to 25 minutes for a break. 

Remember to take notes and develop methods of highlighting important ones, whether that be writing in different materials or drawing something near them. Finding a comfortable place for studying is important too –somewhere with minimal distractions. 

To prepare before the test, make sure you get some rest, stay hydrated and eat something nutritional. Brush up on any notes that may be complex to remember. The Lowry Center is a useful location on campus available to students for studying. It also never hurts to ask help from the tutors on campus. Good luck to everyone taking finals—let’s finish the semester strong!