Cabaret the musical is to be performed from April 25-28.
'Cabaret' musical offers glimpse into 1920s Berlin
MacKenzie Rogers, Lifestyle Editor • April 26, 2024

The department of global languages and theatre arts and the department of music teamed up together to present the musical “Cabaret” from...

VIDEO: Lovett Live returns after pandemic absence
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photography Editor • April 26, 2024

In the pre-COVID era, music business students at Murray State University produced and hosted Lovett Live, a night of music in the historic auditorium...

Celebrating creativity: Murray State’s senior art exhibits

Reception will honor students on Nov. 17
The four BFA senior art exhibit posters. Photo from @murraystateart Instagram.

For students in the department of art and design, the senior exhibition is an opportunity for seniors to leave their final mark and host their last exhibition in the Clara M. Eagle Gallery. 

This semester’s senior practicum exhibitions feature artwork from four graduating seniors pursuing their Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees. The opening reception will be held on Nov. 17, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., allowing viewers to hear the artists discuss their pieces in the exhibition. 

Senior Graphic Design BFA Madison Johns’ exhibit, “Murder & Merlot,” offers viewers an interactive murder mystery narrative surrounding the deaths of Robert and Angela Cavendish. Through a collection of illustrations, viewers will be introduced to all the suspects and given clues to solve this murder-filled exhibit. 

The gallery space will be designed to submerge viewers into the narrative and make them feel like they are detectives solving the mystery. 

“The ultimate goal is to bring audience members together and provide a positive experience that makes everyone feel included,” Johns said. 

Senior Studio Art BFA Laurie Snellen’s exhibit “Exigency” explores the biodiversity crisis, specifically with Songbirds as an indicator species. Snellen’s art technique is composed of etching designs into stone or metal plates with acid that runs through printing presses to transfer ink onto the paper, which then goes through a screen printing process to add the colorful elements. 

Through 10 pieces in the exhibition, Snellen said she wants viewers to leave with awareness about the environmental struggle that is very close to home. 

“It looks at different threats to Songbirds with an artistic spin,” Snellen said. “In hopes of encouraging viewers to take a more active role in the environment we live in.”

Senior Graphic Design BFA Sam Haines’s exhibit “Like Pulling Teeth” is themed around vocalizing the struggles with substance abuse, relationships and finding self-love through a punk band. Through a combination of photography, videography and printmaking, Haines created their exhibit to feature a wide range of art to leave viewers with the mentality ‘It’s okay to not be okay.’ 

“It represents a safe space that I have found through rowdy music and being raised around a community who harbor the same love and appreciation for it,” Haines said. “I knew I wanted to create works that dealt with finding self-acceptance but solidified it into an idea of putting these messages through a punk band a few months later.”

Senior Graphic Design BFA M.J. Bachman’s exhibit “7 Recipes to Save the World Yourself” is an exhibit designed to represent the seven deadly sins and our relationships with food through art. Bachman’s exhibition features 10 different works of art, seven of which are posters, two animations with Bachman’s composed music and flute performance and a novella. Bachman said she felt as though it took her longer to figure out what she wanted to do for her exhibition compared to other students but that the concept really figured itself out over the summer. 

“It was a matter of narrowing down exactly what I wanted to do and finding the neatest (and most practical) path to get there,” Bachman said. “I spent a lot of time storyboarding, researching and listening to music that inspires me.”

Anyone interested in seeing the senior exhibitions can visit the Clara M. Eagle Gallery on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The exhibitions open on Nov. 17 and will be on view until Nov. 30.