Join the hype: Murray State basketball is back!

Students+cheering+at+a+basketball+game.+
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini
Students cheering at a basketball game.

As the sports season shifts from football to basketball, students are getting hyped to watch the beginning of another great season. 

With the games beginning in November, we went around campus asking students what they were looking forward to about the upcoming basketball seasons. 

Isaiah Woody, sophomore business administration major, said he thinks basketball season is the best time of the year. 

“The basketball team here is actually really good,” Woody said. “I was never into basketball really before I came to college, but once I came to college, basketball was it.” 

For many freshmen, the upcoming season will be their first encounter with college basketball. 

Izzy Hatfield, freshman psychology and criminal justice major, said she is very excited to be introduced to Racer basketball. 

“I’ve heard that it is a very good community to be a part of,” Hatfield said. “I’ve always loved college basketball, so coming here, I was excited that we had such a big [basketball] program.” 

While new students will be given the opportunity to experience their first basketball games, older students show their passion for the teams by continuing to come and support the Racers.

This year’s first basketball game is unlike others in the past. This game, a scrimmage against Brescia University, is set to take place in Racer Arena, the original home of Racer basketball. This will be the first time in 25 years that a Racer basketball game will take place in the historic venue. 

Ryan English, junior business administration major, said he likes the energy and success of the basketball teams. 

“It’s always a good time going to the games with my friends, cheering on Racer basketball,” English said. 

Calix Coulson, sophomore creative writing major, said he always enjoys going to the basketball games. 

“I like watching basketball,” Coulson said. “I’m the fourth generation to go to Murray, so I’ve been to a lot of Murray State basketball games.”

Whether you’ve attended every Racer basketball game or none at all, there has never been a better time for you to go out and uncover the phenomenon that is: Racer basketball.