Cabaret the musical is to be performed from April 25-28.
'Cabaret' musical offers glimpse into 1920s Berlin
MacKenzie Rogers, Lifestyle Editor • April 26, 2024

The department of global languages and theatre arts and the department of music teamed up together to present the musical “Cabaret” from...

VIDEO: Lovett Live returns after pandemic absence
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photography Editor • April 26, 2024

In the pre-COVID era, music business students at Murray State University produced and hosted Lovett Live, a night of music in the historic auditorium...

The News’ favorite Halloween movies

Here+are+our+favorite+Halloween+movies+to+spook+up+your+Halloween.+
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini
Here are our favorite Halloween movies to spook up your Halloween.

As the temperature continues to drop and sweater weather becomes an impending reality, the time for celebrating the spookiest season of the year is upon us. What is a better way to celebrate the ghoulish and creepy than by watching Halloween movies? 

Whether you’re into some horrifying thrillers or the not-so-scary stuff, we at The News composed a list of our favorite Halloween films to hopefully inspire some last-minute Halloween movie marathons. 

Scream 

This 1996 classic is a must-watch if you are into the satire thriller genre. Scream follows teenager Sidney Prescott and her friends who become targets of Ghostface, the knife-wielding serial killer. 

Scream is aware of cringy horror tropes and actively comments on them . . . while also participating in them. If you like sitting on the edge of your seat as you and the characters in the movie attempt to figure out who the killer is without becoming the next victim, then Scream might be the movie for you. In fact, this movie teaches a valuable lesson: hang up if an unknown caller is inquiring about your favorite scary movie. 

Scream is available for streaming on Max and Hulu (with live TV). 

Coraline

Coraline is a 2009 stop-motion children’s film that is a must-watch if you haven’t seen it already. It centers around an 11-year-old girl who happens to discover a secret door to another world that parallels her own, only this one is ‘better.’ That is, until the facade of magic and warmth begins to crumble as the Other family tries to keep her there forever. 

Coraline is a great film to watch with friends and family and gives just enough scare to fuel the craving. Also, who isn’t a sucker for stop-motion films? Every little detail in Coraline adds to the mystery of what lurks behind the secret door that was purposefully hidden. 

Coraline is available for streaming on Max. 

Fear Street Trilogy

This series is based on the R.L. Stine book series of the same name. Fear Street follows a group of teenagers attempting to break a curse that has been plaguing their town for hundreds of years. Released in 2021, these films feature some popular actors, including Sadie Sink and Maya Hawke. 

If you’re interested in a horror series that features a famous cast of actors, is influenced by classic thrillers and incorporates supernatural and slasher elements, then Fear Street is the series for you. Plus, it’s R.L. Stine, enough said. 

The Fear Street trilogy is available for streaming on Netflix. 

Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow

Loosely based on the 1820 short story “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” by Washington Irving, Sleepy Hollow follows a police constable investigating a series of murders by a headless horseman.

If you are a Johnny Depp fan, love gothic horror and enjoy the directing style of Tim Burton, then Sleepy Hollow is the Halloween watch for you. 

Sleepy Hollow is available for streaming on Max. 

While a ton of Halloween classics didn’t make this list, there are thousands of movies out there that fill our horror-craving hearts. So, per the words of Ghostface: what’s your favorite scary movie?