Annual event benefits fine arts students

Taste+of+the+Arts+will+be+held+on+Thursday%2C+Oct.+12.+Proceeds+will+benefit+schloarships+for+Fine+Arts+students.+
Photo by Jeremy McKeel
Taste of the Arts will be held on Thursday, Oct. 12. Proceeds will benefit schloarships for Fine Arts students.

For 14 years, the Office of Development has partnered with the College of Humanities to host Taste of the Arts,  which funds scholarships for fine arts students. 

Kala Allen-Dunn, director of development for the College of Humanities and Fine Arts and Honors College, said planning for the event began in January.

“It is an event with lots of moving pieces – a live auction, a plated dinner, volunteer support, and performances by many of our fine arts student ensembles – it requires a lot of advance preparation,” Allen-Dunn said. “The College of Humanities and Fine Arts is fortunate to have a wonderful dean and excellent department chairs, all of whom collaborate to make the event a success each year.”

This year, student groups including the Commercial Music Ensemble, EQ Blu, dramatic and musical theater performances by two duos and a percussion trio, will perform. 

There are currently 177 registered guests for this year’s event, which Allen-Dunn said is a sold-out crowd. 

Since this serves as a fundraiser for student scholarships, tickets sold for $75, and tables of eight sold for $550. 

Allen-Dunn said she works with a committee to ensure each event is fun and exciting for guests. 

“The planning committee works together to think of items or experiences that would be exciting for our bidders, then works to match those ideas with people who might be willing to support student scholarships,” Allen-Dunn said. “We are also very fortunate to have many generous alumni who reach out to us with terrific donation ideas of their own, and we are always extra grateful to include those items in the auction program.”

Guests will have the opportunity to bid on one-of-a-kind pieces, including original artwork from University alumni. 

“One of the members of the Murray State University Board of Regents, Robbie Fitch, has made an incredible Hearthstone electric guitar that uses wood from the old Racer Arena flooring,” Allen-Dunn said. “New York-based artist and 2023 Distinguished Alumnus Jimmy Wright has contributed two drawings that were studies for one of his famous flower paintings. Also, alumna Lee McClure has made a beautiful painting of Violet Cactus, the original Racer One.”

This event also highlights the recipients of the Outstanding Alumni in the Fine Arts Award and Outstanding Fine Arts Young Alumni Lee Sanders and Rashod Taylor, both of whom will be attending to receive their awards. 

Allen-Dunn said last year’s event raised $50,000 to support student scholarships. 

“Our goal is always to raise as much as we possibly can for the wonderful cause of assisting our talented fine arts students in pursuing their degrees,” Allen-Dunn said. “We are lucky to have generous auction item donors and a wonderful audience of enthusiastic bidders who make it all possible.”

Anyone interested in donating to the scholarship fund generated by this event can visit murraystate.edu/giving.