Clarke poses for graduation pictures with his dog.
Non-traditional students diversify campus
Madison Miller, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

Murray State is a campus of diverse individuals from various cultural, situational and socioeconomic backgrounds. For soon-to-be Murray State...

Tucker stands with their PowerPoint Presentation after their history capstone presentation.
Student shares inspiration behind project
Makayla Mckinzie, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

A Murray State student used self-discovery as the foundation for their capstone project, “Transcending The Lens.”  Taylor Tucker, a senior...

Get out: find 6 local fall adventures

Photo view from the Brandon Spring Group Center.
Barbara Stevens

With fall break less than a month away, the time for making plans is now. Not sure what to do? Well, here are six fun local fall break getaways to consider. 

Discovery Park

If you are up for a little drive, then consider visiting Discovery Park in Union City, Tennessee. An hour from campus, this museum and heritage park offers a fun experience at a low price. If you are interested in cars, science, space and more, then Discovery Park is the perfect getaway for you. 

Land Between the Lakes

If you’re staying local, then you should explore the Land Between the Lakes, where the list of potential activities is truly endless. Not convinced? Take a scenic drive, go kayaking, try horseback riding, hike one of the 500 miles of hiking trails, attempt fishing, watch a planetarium light show or visit the elk and bison prairie.

Talon Falls Screampark

While fall break might be early into October, it’s never too early to get your Halloween on. If you are in a spooky mood, consider checking out Talon Falls Screampark in Melber, Kentucky. This horrifying scream park features 13 terror-inducing mazes, a haunted hayride and a creepy psych ward.

A-Maize-ing Farms Corn Maze

Want to visit a corn maze over the break and have some fall fun? Well, the one in Mayfield, Kentucky, happens to be the biggest corn maze in the state, featuring three mazes in one! A-Maize-ing Farms has more to offer than a corn maze with hayrides. It has inflatables, mums, pumpkins, fall decorations and a petting zoo ready to entertain all ages.

Calvert City Drive-In 

Fall break is the perfect time to fulfill your movie craving. If you happen to be in the mood for a movie under the stars, check out the Calvert City Drive-In. This place features films old and new, all from the convenience of your own vehicle. Don’t forget to get some popcorn.

Harvest Fest

This local and free-to-attend event is the perfect fall break plan for those unable to venture away during the break. Held in Murray-Calloway Central Park on Oct. 7, this festival will feature festival games, food trucks, inflatables, a petting zoo, pumpkin painting and more. Bring some friends and enjoy the small-town festival magic. 

Whether you stay in Murray or venture beyond, fall break is the perfect time to enjoy the autumn festivities and relax after the stress of midterms.