New telehealth counseling option set for fall
Bri Hunter, Editor in Chief • May 14, 2024

The University is extending on-campus mental health services for the next academic year through a company called TimelyCare.  TimelyCare...

PHOTOS: Baseball sweeps Valpo in last home series
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photo Editor • May 14, 2024

The Racers swept the Valparaiso Beacons in their last home series of the season. With these three wins the Racers move into a 34-18 record...

Cinema International highlights 10 foreign films

Cinema+Internationals+selected+foreign++films+for+the+fall+2023+semester.+
Cinema International’s selected foreign films for the fall 2023 semester.

Cinema International will be showing “Miriam Lies” (2018), one of ten films in the fall 2023 selection, on Sept. 7 and 9 in Faculty Hall 208. 

“Miriam Lies” is a Dominican film about a biracial young woman’s struggle against colorism in Caribbean society. Already faced with discrimination in her own community, Miriam gives a false narrative to her friends and family to hide that her new boyfriend is Black. Her quinceañera approaches as her lies and excuses continue to pile up. 

Cinema International is a tradition at Murray State and in the surrounding community. Every semester, films from around the world are screened for our students, faculty, staff and community at no admission cost. Cinema International’s mission is to educate Murray State on the wider world through diverse filmography. From Argentina to Japan, a country’s films are a window into the culture and social issues that define it.

“[Watching international films] broadens your mind to other cultures,” said Thérèse Saint Paul, French professor and director of Cinema International. “It develops critical thinking and promotes tolerance and curiosity.”

Post-screening discussions make Cinema International an eye-opening and educational experience. Films often require discussion to be fully understood. These conversations provide background information and an opportunity to ask questions. Hearing the perspectives of other viewers and informed discussion leaders further broadens the audience’s mind.

“Miriam Lies” isn’t the only Cinema International movie to look forward to this semester. After this week, the fall semester lineup is as follows:

“The People vs. Larry Flynt” (United States, 1996), Sept. 14 and 16.

“La Soledad” (Venezuela, 2016), Sept. 21 and 23.

“Goliath” (France, 2022), Sept. 28 and 30.

“The Dog Who Wouldn’t Be Quiet” (Argentina, 2021), Oct. 12 and 14.

“Straight Talk: Reconciliation! With a Video Game?” (Germany, 2020), Oct. 19 and 21.

“A Bruddah’s Mind” (Brazil, 2020), Oct. 26 and 28.

“I Am Not Your Negro” (United States, 2016), Nov. 2 and 4.

“Wife of a Spy” (Japan, 2020), Nov. 9 and 11.

These films, some based on fact and others on fiction, provide a unique look into cultures and histories students might not get to see anywhere else. Students are able to engage with languages and topics relevant to their classes. For example, the French legal thriller “Goliath” (2022) showcases political lobbying and environmental impact. Each thought-provoking story offers its audience an opportunity to learn. 

“[The films’ themes] guide a bit of the selection of the movies because we like to discuss,” Saint Paul said. “They have messages, they have points of reflection. They could be artistic, but they have topics that are worth investigating.”

Cinema International hosts screenings Thursdays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. While admissions are free, the costs of licensing fees add up each year. The program relies on donations and sponsorships. Films screened this fall have been made possible by organizations like Pragda Latin Cinema, WKMS and academic departments at Murray State.