Murray State regents consider future vet school

Murray+State+University+Board+approved+establishing+a+task+force+to+develop+a+school+of+veterinary+medicine.+
Photo Courtesy of Murray State University
Murray State University Board approved establishing a task force to develop a school of veterinary medicine.

The Murray State Board of Regents voted unanimously at Friday’s quarterly meeting to support a feasibility study regarding the development of a school of veterinary medicine.

There is currently no veterinary medicine school in the state and only 32 nationwide. 

A task force will begin a study to examine the shortage of veterinarians in the state and work towards developing a School of Veterinary Medicine at Murray State. 

In a University press release, Brian Parr dean of the Hutson School of Agriculture said he is excited for the opportunity this brings to students. 

This effort represents a great need in the field of animal agriculture. The PreVet/Vet Tech program in the Hutson School of Agriculture has long been a program of excellence that has seen great growth over the last two decades,” Parr said. “I believe that this initiative is the next logical step in the development of our school to help meet the needs of the agricultural industry.”

The Hutson School of Agriculture is reporting an estimated highest enrollment of pre-veterinary and veterinary technology in Kentucky.  

In her board presentation, faculty regent Melony Shemberger said the veterinary profession is expected to grow by an estimated 19% by 2031. 

University President Bob Jackson said he is grateful for the Board adopting a resolution of support. 

“Statistics indicate that there are an insufficient number of veterinarians to meet the growing needs both within Kentucky as well as nationally,” Jackson said. “Further, a significant number of students in the Commonwealth are attending out-of-state universities to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. We have a tremendous obligation to continue to identify needs and create opportunities for our region and the Commonwealth of Kentucky.”