News Brief: Former Murray State student faces federal indictment

Jack Epperson, 20, faces federal indictment. (Kentucky State Police)

A former Murray State student faces federal indictment in connection with an incident at Sorority Suites last fall

Jack Epperson, 20, appeared before a Magistrate Judge in U.S. District Court on Monday. According to the indictment, Epperson possessed a Molotov cocktail, a destructive device not registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

Epperson was accused of throwing a Molotov cocktail at a group of students attending a Greek event on Sept. 10, 2022. 

Kentucky State Police located Epperson and took him to the Murray-Calloway County Hospital where he received treatment for burns on his hands. He was arrested and charged with possession of a destructive/booby trap device, second-degree wanton endangerment and two counts of first-degree attempted assault. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives launched a separate investigation because of the involvement of an explosive device, The Murray Ledger & Times reported. 

Epperson was released on a $50,000 cash bond posted in late October. It was reported at the hearing that, since his release, that Epperson has abided by all the conditions of his bond, requesting for bond modifications through his attorney Jason E. Holland, The Murray Ledger & Times reported. 

If convicted, Epperson could receive a maximum of 10 years in prison with no parole. 

The case has been continued to Nov. 20.