Pitching carousel shuts out Redhawks

Junior right-handed pitcher Malik Pogue recorded four strikeouts against SEMO as the Racers defeated the Redhawks 5-0. Photo by Rebeca Mertins Chiodini.

Jakob Milani, Sports Editor

The saying goes “three wins is a streak,” and the Murray State Racers are on a win streak as they took down the SEMO Redhawks on the road for their third consecutive win on Tuesday, May 2.

The Racers used six different pitchers on their way to a 5-0 win over the Redbirds. The pitchers combined for 15 strikeouts in 35 batters and allowed just three hits in the nine innings.

After the Racers went down in order in the top of the first inning, junior left-handed pitcher Allen Roulette took the mound for Murray State and struck out a pair of Redhawks to end the inning, despite walking one batter.

Roulette went back out to pitch in the second inning and struck out another SEMO batter, leaving the game scoreless through two innings.

Murray State loaded the bases in the top half of the third inning, but failed to have anyone cross home plate for a run. Junior right-handed pitcher Matt Boynton relieved Roulette in the bottom of the third, and despite giving up a hit, got the other three batters out and kept the game scoreless.

The fourth inning was a near repeat as Boynton struck out a batter and allowed a hit, but the two teams still failed to put any runs on the board.

After two Racers struck out in the top of the fifth inning, junior right-handed pitcher Alex Elsing took the mound for Murray State and walked the first batter before striking out the next three. 

The scoreless tie was finally broken in the top of the sixth inning.

Sophomore infielder Riley Hawthorne led off the inning with a single before sophomore outfielder Dustin Mercer stepped up to the plate and hit a home run to right field, putting the Racers up 2-0.

Elsing forced one out in the bottom half of the sixth before being relieved by junior left hander Thomas McNabb. He struck out his first batter but walked the next three to load the bases.

Junior right-handed pitcher Malik Pogue relieved McNabb after the three walks and forced a fly out to get the Racers out of the inning unscathed.

Neither team scored a run in the seventh or eighth inning, with Pogue striking out four batters through the two innings.

Junior infielder Drew Vogel drew a walk to start the ninth inning, followed by a single from junior catcher Ethan Krizen. Sophomore infielder Parker Estes then stepped up to the plate and hit a single of his own, allowing Vogel to score from second and add to the Racers’ lead.

Senior outfielder Seth Gardner then stepped up and reached base on a fielder’s choice, loading the bases for Mercer. He proceeded to hit a single up the middle and bring in two more runs to give the Racers a 5-0 lead.

Graduate right-handed pitcher Ben Krizen came in to close the game out for the Racers. He struck out the first batter before allowing a single, then struck out the last two batters to secure the Racers’ win and the season series over the Redhawks.

Murray State had seven hits total in the game, with Hawthorne and Mercer each getting a pair. Pogue led the pitching staff with four strikeouts while three other pitchers fanned three batters each. They allowed just three hits and gave up five walks, facing 35 batters in total.

The Racers themselves struck out 15 times at the plate and drew just three walks, batting a total of 39 times.

Murray State improves to 25-21 on the season, the fifth-best overall record in the MVC. The Racers MVC record sits at 10-8, good for the fourth spot in the Valley standings.

Just three conference series remain for Murray State this season, with a one-game series against Bellarmine University falling in the middle. The Racers host Missouri State in their next series, with game one set for 5 p.m. on Friday, May 5.