News Brief: County court defers Epperson hearing, waits for federal response

Jack Epperson attempted to attack a group of students on sorority row on Sept. 10, 2022. (Jayden Hayn/The News)

Dionte Berry, Editor-in-Chief

The status hearing for Murray native and former Murray State student Jack Epperson, 19, was postponed to June 19, pending a response from the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Epperson was set to appear in Calloway County Circuit Court on Monday, April 17.

The hearing was postponed because the circuit court is unsure of whether the U.S. Attorney’s Office will be prosecuting the case, said Calloway and Marshall County Commonwealth Attorney Dennis Foust. 

Because Epperson used an explosive device for his attempted attack, Foust said this case may be prosecuted at the federal level by the U.S. Attorney’s Office. 

Epperson was charged with two counts of first-degree attempted assault, second-degree wanton endangerment and possession of a destructive or booby trap device after he attempted to attack a group of students on Sorority Row on Sept. 10, 2022.

First-degree attempted assault and possession of a destructive device are both felony charges. The former charge carries up to a 10-year prison sentence, and the latter is punishable by a 5 to 10-year sentence.

Epperson attempted the attack with what appeared to witnesses to be a Molotov cocktail. The device was ineffective and only injured Epperson. None of the targeted students were injured.

The deferred hearing was determined during Epperson’s original status hearing time. 

Along with awaiting a federal response, Foust said lab results are also being processed in relation to the attack. However, Foust was not able to specify what was being tested. 

If Epperson’s case does not go to federal court, then it will be prosecuted by the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office. 

Foust said he has yet to be notified of which route the case will be taken, but there should be an answer by Epperson’s next status hearing set for 8:30 a.m. on June 19, according to the Kentucky Court of Justice court docket.