Woods Park construction set to finish Phase I

Woods Park is set to pay homage to Woods Hall, which was torn down in 2019. (Rebeca Mertins Chiodini/The News)

Caroline Blakeman, Contributing Writer

Woods Park will be a new green space for Murray State, providing students a place to unwind during the semester.

Construction for Woods Park began in February, but planning began near Waterfield Library after the demolition of Woods Hall in 2019, said Director of Facilities Management Jason Youngblood.

Woods Park will have landscaping and sidewalks and places to gather, socialize or enjoy lunch, he said.

Sophomore psychology major Kylie Jo Rouse said she is excited to have a place to be outside on the academic side of campus.

“As I spend a majority of my time cooped up in the library or the academic buildings just waiting for my next class, having an alternative to go sit outside at this park would be a great refreshment,” Rouse said.

Rouse said the park will improve her personal well-being.

“I love to be in nature, and there are not many places on campus that currently provide a scenic outdoor space,” she said.

Youngblood said the project is being done in phases, which currently include a design phase and Phase I construction. 

Phase I is currently in progress. This phase includes building the underground infrastructure for site lighting and stormwater drainage, adding sidewalks and constructing the Woods Park monument from materials saved from Woods Hall.

Phase I will cost approximately $450,000.

Rouse said she thinks students will enjoy the park.

“[I think] it will become a favorite place on campus to visit and be in nature while getting things done or just relaxing,” Rouse said.

Rouse said she had not heard of the construction before The News contacted her.

“Once I looked into the plans for this project, I got kinda excited, and I believe it could be a really fun place to go on sunny days to tan, read a book and get into nature and relieve some of the stress college brings up in students,” Rouse said. 

Youngblood said more sidewalks and site features will be added in future phases as funding can be identified. 

Weather permitting, Phase I construction work is currently on schedule to be completed by the end of May.