Exhibit showcases students professional skills

Raleigh Hightower, Lifestyle Editor

Students across several majors came together to explore feelings such as vanity and loneliness through photography in the ART 384 Darkroom photography exhibition.

The Darkroom Photography exhibit held in the Waterfield Library Gallery features 16 photographs from eight different students who are enrolled in the ART 384 course. The exhibit opened on Monday, March 27, and a reception was held on Wednesday, March 29.

Junior graphic design major Lyle Smith contributed two photos, “March” and “Constrained.”

“March,” which depicts a set of flowers in a mirror shot at ankle height, was the result of an ART 384 class project, Smith said.

“The medium format photo project was all about reflections and mirrors, so ‘March’ is a result of me and my brother experimenting with a mirror outside,” Smith said.

Smith’s other piece, “Constrained,” which depicts the ceiling inside a building, also came from a class project designed to encourage students to use contrast in their photography.

Another contributor, senior studio art major Olivia Swaidner, presented two pieces exploring loneliness.

The first piece, titled “Hidden Angels,” depicted a storefront with street lamps hanging above two empty flower pots on opposite sides of a doorway. Swaidner’s second piece, “Lost Away,” depicts a weathered wooden bridge that sits in a forested area.

Junior professional writing major Sarah Smith contributed work with images of nature and wildlife. Sarah Smith contributed two pieces, “Elsewhere” and “Corroding.”

“Elsewhere” depicts a flower in a field that appears close to the viewer in the frame but contrasts with a large hill in the photo’s horizon. “Corroding” explores reflection through its depiction of a large piece of driftwood washed up on a lake’s shore.

Sophomore studio art major Katie Hart submitted two pieces, “Narcissus” and “On the Rocks.”

Hart explores reflection in “Narcissus.” Hart captured the self-portrait outside and on campus with a film camera in a mirror.“On the Rocks” explores the texture and contrast of several large rocks.

Assistant Professor of Art and Design Cintia Segovia Figueroa teaches ART 384, an upper-level course. The class helps students refine technical and conceptual skills learned in their previous photography courses.

“I’m happy to have a professor who is able to share her knowledge of film with her students,” Sarah Smith said. “I’ve learned so much from Professor Segovia, and I’ll be able to apply this knowledge to my work in the future.”

In addition to giving students an opportunity to exhibit their work, the course places an emphasis on film photography by taking students through the shooting, editing and printing processes.

One key takeaway among ART 384 students was a changed perspective on what goes into a photo exhibit.

“This is the first photography exhibit I’ve been able to participate in, and it was interesting to get a behind-the-scenes view of how it was put together,” Lyle Smith said. “After learning the process for putting an exhibition together, I’m no longer intimidated by putting my work on display, and I’m excited to do more in the future.”

Hart also said  having the chance to present her work is something she will take with her into the future.

“What to expect is something I will value from this exhibit,” Hart said. ”It’ll be nice to have some insight to what it’ll be like in the future. It’s not as intimidating as I thought originally.”

Today is the last day to view the Darkroom Exhibit. To stay up to date with future exhibits, follow the Department of Art and Design at @murraystateart on Instagram.