Kentucky gun bills focus on colleges

n 2023, 23% of Americans were somewhat dissatisfied with current gun laws, while 40% were very dissatisfied (Source: news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns). (Dionte Berry/The News)

Jill Smith, Assistant News Editor

Kentucky Rep. Savannah Maddox, R-Dry Ridge, introduced two bills aimed at easing gun restrictions on college campuses, but both have failed to receive enough votes to pass the House.  

House Bill 542 would prevent public colleges and universities from banning guns on their campus, and House Bill 138 would work to eliminate gun-free zones on college campuses.  

Maddox cited the Michigan State University shooting as the catalyst for introducing these bills. 

“Banning firearms on campus is clearly not a deterrent for those who would willingly harm others,” Maddox said in a committee meeting about the bill. “Yet it ensures innocent victims are defenseless in the face of the unthinkable.” 

HB 542, originally written to address workforce development, was a “shell bill” that would allow people to conceal carry firearms at colleges, universities and other postsecondary education campuses in Kentucky.

A “shell bill” is when legislators file a low-stakes bill late in the legislative session in order to later amend it to include often controversial legislative proposals. These are amended at the last minute, typically to limit public input.

In a statement, Maddox said this bill would allow Kentucky citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights. 

“I feel as the Kentucky General Assembly has a responsibility to do away with ineffective policies such as gun-free [zones], which are clearly proven not to work and not to keep our citizens safe,” Maddox said.

Executive Director of Government and Institutional Relations Jordan Smith said “shell bills” are very common toward the end of the legislative session.

The Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education sent a letter in opposition of HB 542 to Kentucky legislators on March 9.

The letter calls for legislators to consider the safety concerns posed by the bill. All Kentucky public college and university presidents, including President Bob Jackson, signed the letter in opposition of HB 542. 

“…College campuses play a unique role in our communities and should be afforded special protections,” according to the letter. “For our colleges and universities to fulfill their goal of educating our future workforce in an environment where ideas are freely exchanged, students must feel that campuses are generally safe from violence.” 

While the bill passed in the Veterans, Military Affairs and Public Protection Committee with a vote of 16-3, the bill failed to receive enough votes to pass the House.

Maddox said in a Tweet it was a sad day in Kentucky after HB 542 failed to pass. 

“Neither the Democrats nor the governor can stop good legislation from passing in Kentucky with our Republican supermajority,” Maddox said. 

Smith said the University appreciates the legislators who voiced their concerns about HB 542. 

“President Jackson and I also have met with lawmakers throughout the session voicing our concerns on this legislation, as well as many other pieces of legislation that would negatively impact our Murray State students, faculty and staff,” Smith said. 

Student Government Association President Ellie McGowan, the executive board and SGA Governmental Relations Chair Luke Wyatt also voiced their concerns with this bill on a recent trip to Frankfort. 

On HB 138, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said he supports Second Amendment rights but questions the specifics of the bill. 

“While I strongly believe in the Second Amendment, there are certain areas like our public schools that it is appropriate not to allow weapons and concealed weapons, specifically,” Beshear said in a statement. “That’s why I also believe that we each [have] to work to get a school resource officer in each of our public schools trained and ready to ensure that the worst fear that we have as parents never happens.”

As Kentucky legislators discuss the prevalence of guns on college campuses, Smith said mental health and personal safety are important to Murray State administration for the 2023 legislative cycle.

“Therefore, just as we do every legislative session, we will do everything we can to educate lawmakers on the concerns voiced by our students, faculty and staff on this issue and others,” Smith said. “We also encourage students to reach out to our many mental health counseling opportunities on campus through the Counseling Center and Psychological Center at any time.”

Kentucky’s 2023 legislative session ended today.  These high-profile bills will die in the House with no votes or introduction.