Lawmakers propose legislation to target queer community

Students+gather+in+the+Free+Speech+Zone+outside+the+Curris+Center+to+protest+and+bring+awareness+about+proposed+anti-queer+bills+in+Kentucky+%28Dionte+Berry%2C+The+News%29+

Students gather in the Free Speech Zone outside the Curris Center to protest and bring awareness about proposed anti-queer bills in Kentucky (Dionte Berry, The News)

Dionte Berry, Editor-in-Chief

Anti-queer legislation has been proposed across many GOP-led states, and Kentucky is not an exception. Approximately 10 bills have been proposed in the Kentucky legislature, which would inhibit the livelihoods of queer Kentuckians. 

Protests in response to the bills have sprung up across the state. On Murray State grounds, students gathered in the Free Speech Zone on Feb. 23 to protest the proposed bills. 

Organized by Murray State Planned Parent Generation Action President Julian Lamson, the protest served as an opportunity for students to spread awareness about the anti-queer bills proposed and to write to Kentucky lawmakers. 

“These bills are designed to discriminate against LGBT students, specifically trans students,” Lamson said. “LGBT+ individuals deserve the same rights as anyone else, and it’s up to us to fight for those rights. We can use our voices to make a change.”

Lamson highlighted the focus legislators have on transgender individuals. A large part of the anti-trans legislation proposed would affect minors and students in the classroom.

Students organize in the Free Speech Zone on Feb. 23 to protest proposed anti-queer legislation ( Emma Fisher, The News).

Bills specifically targeting the transgender community include: Senate Bills 102 and 150 and House Bills 30, 58, 120, 470 and 585.

SB 102 is a 27-page-long bill that would disallow K-12 students to independently change their pronouns from those that correlate with their gender assigned at birth. The bill also prohibits teachers from respecting students’ privacy. Teachers will be required to tell students’ parents what the student requests regarding their pronouns. HB 173 echoes SB 102. 

SB 150 already has passed in the Senate with a 29-6 vote. The bill gives teachers the choice of whether they want to use a student’s chosen pronouns or the pronouns that correlate to their gender assigned at birth. 

Parents also will have the ability to prohibit their students from mental and physical health services and will allow parents to prohibit their child from receiving sex education. 

HB 30 would force students to use the bathroom and locker room facilities based on their birth gender, regardless of if the student still identifies as that gender.

Focusing on health care HB 58 would give physicians the choice to decline procedures that do not coincide with their “conscience” or religion. This bill can hinder trans individuals’ access to proper care, but it also can affect the broader queer community.

Under HB 120 individuals under the age of 18 would be prohibited from having access to gender-affirming care. For example, trans people would not have access to gender-affirming surgeries or hormone replacement therapy. The bill does not specify what will happen in regard to other HRT uses. 

Reiterating the same ideas as HB 120, HB 470 threatens to revoke the license of any health providers that give gender-affirming care to minors. 

Focusing on birth gender assignments, HB 585 is working to ensure that only “male” or “female” can be listed as a gender on a birth certificate. 

Sophomore biology major Charlotte Saltsman is scared of what this legislation could mean for queer Kentuckians but was happy to see the student body come together and rally against lawmakers’ choices. 

“The recent student rally was wonderful,” Saltsman said. “It showed me just how many supportive people we have on campus, with those that don’t outwardly present as queer, as well as allies showing up to support our cause. It reestablished part of my hope for our community and made me feel more like I belonged here.”

Saltsman says the proposed anti-queer legislation feels as if the GOP is trying to maintain some form of societal control. 

“GOP lawmakers are targeting LGBTQ people, especially trans people, because they’re scared of losing their grip on how our society is run,” Saltsman said. “They also want a scapegoat to blame for problems that they’ve created, specifically relating to gun control and mental health.”

Beyond the trans community, Kentucky lawmakers have proposed SB 115 and HBs 177 and 204 that could affect the broader queer community. 

SB 115 would limit the locations where drag shows could be performed. It would ensure they are over 1,000 feet away from any public schools, child care centers, parks and places of worship.  

HB 177 focuses on schools by banning lessons and instruction concerning gender identity, sexual orientation and sexual relationships before fifth grade and informing parents about students’ extracurricular activities, nicknames and pronoun changes. HB 204 focuses on “restoring religious liberty” by allowing Kentuckians the right to sue when their religious rights are being burdened. 

Pride Center Director Abigail Cox said she is concerned with the effects the laws could have on Murray State students.

“My concern is immediately for students and their sense of safety and support,” Cox said. “These decisions take a toll on our students mental health and well-being, and I want to find ways to show them they are supported and celebrated for their authentic selves here at Murray State. I am sad that this is the focus of decision-makers when there is so much suffering that deserves our attention.”

Despite the overwhelming amount of legislation that could inhibit queer livelihoods, bills have been proposed in support of queer Kentuckians. 

The Statewide Fairness Act would prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, gender and sexuality.  

HB 162 focuses on protecting the mental health of minors by prohibiting the flow of public funds to organizations that focus on “sexual and gender identity change efforts,” also known as conversion therapy. 

The 2023 Kentucky Legislative Session is set to end on March 30. 

“After the rally, several student organizations gathered to learn more about how to contact legislators about these bills,” Cox said. “And as a group, they’ve taken the time to make those phone calls, send those emails.”

Information about Kentucky lawmakers, such as their mailing addresses and emails, can be found at legislature.ky.gov/findyourlegislator. District 1 and 5 legislators can be contacted at [email protected] and [email protected].