Research shows link between nightmares, suicide

Professor shares work in lecture series

Logan Kirkland / Mississippi Sta

Dr. Michael Nadorff is an associate professor and the director of the clinical psychology Ph.D. program at Mississippi State University.

Ava Chuppe, Senior Writer

A Feb. 16 psychology lecture shed light on the connection between nightmares and suicide.

Titled “Sour Dreams: The Negative Effects of Nightmares and Interventions to Combat Them,” the lecture featured Mississippi State University Professor Michael Nadorff, who specializes in suicidal behavior and behavioral sleep medicine.

His interest in studying suicide began because his grandmother ended her own life in 1976. This “family secret” motivated Nadorff to explore the psychological motivations behind suicide.

“It just made me really wonder, how does someone get to the point that they’re so miserable that they think of ending their life?” Nadorff said.

Nadorff has over 90 peer-reviewed publications and $8.7 million in grants. His research and clinical practice focuses on how to treat nightmares and consequently reduce the risk of suicide in patients.

Nadorff first encountered an association between nightmares and suicide in a 2006 study, which concluded nightmares are associated with suicidal ideation after controlling for depression. He said he was not impressed with the methods used in the study and decided to try similar research on his own.

To Nadorff’s surprise, he found similar results, even after controlling for other variables like anxiety and PTSD. He said this information was valuable for suicide prevention.

“I got thinking about it,” Nadorff said. “Why don’t we do nightmare treatments for those who are suicidal if they have nightmares?”

The lecture, part of the Brummer Colloquium Series, summarized the various studies Nadorff continued to conduct on the subject. One of these studies controlled for the Interpersonal-Psychological Theory of Suicide, the most popular theory for why suicide occurs. Nadorff said he thought was given too much importance in explaining suicide.

“There’s a little ego when you come up with a theory, so the authors who came up with the theory thought they had fully explained suicide,” Nadorff said. “Controlling for that entire theory, nightmares were still significant.”

Pharmacological and behavioral treatments can reduce nightmares. Nadorff said his clinical practice involves imagery rehearsal therapy, a type of cognitive behavioral therapy that asks patients to vividly imagine alternate endings for their recurrent nightmares.

“This treatment is so simple, you won’t believe me that it works,” Nadorff said.

Nadorff noted many people who suffer from frequent nightmares do not disclose the problem to their healthcare provider. He said he hopes to raise awareness about the adverse effects of nightmares through lectures like this one.

“One of the problems we run into is that people don’t realize that either their nightmares are abnormal or that something can be done,” Nadorff said. “I think one of the promising things about this isn’t just that we know nightmares are important, but this is something we can do something about.”

Held in Freed Curd Auditorium, the Brummer Colloquia are made possible by Gary Brummer and his wife, Sharon. The next event in the series will take place in Freed Curd Auditorium at 5:30 p.m. on March 16.

Anyone struggling with suicidal thoughts is encouraged to contact the national Suicide and Crisis Lifeline by dialing 988.