Monthly event series promotes success, fights stigma

Jumpstart+January+is+the+first+event+in+a+monthly+series+hosted+by+Racers+Empower.+%28Photo+Courtesy+of+Peggy+Whaley%29+

Jumpstart January is the first event in a monthly series hosted by Racers Empower. (Photo Courtesy of Peggy Whaley)

Raleigh Hightower, Lifestyle Editor

In an effort to celebrate the beginning of the spring semester and equip students with the skills necessary to succeed, the Center of Student Engagement and Success is hosting Jumpstart January.

Jumpstart January will be held on Monday, Jan. 30 in the reference room of Waterfield Library, and includes food, games and information to help students succeed in the spring semester.

Director of Student Engagement and Success Peggy Whaley said students can expect to find bingo, a gratitude and relaxation station and a student success information table at the event.

In addition to these activities, the center is also planning to play “Five-Second Summaries,” a game played on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.” Participants are given a specific topic and have five seconds to describe it to another player who attempts to guess the topic.

Whaley said the goal of Jumpstart January is to welcome students back to campus and ensure they have resources and information to help them have a successful spring semester.

Jumpstart January has been hosted since 2020 and is part of a series of monthly events in the Racers Empower Initiative.

The Racers Empower Initiative aims to share resources, connect students with support services, promote a healthy mind and body and encourage students to share and talk about their own experiences to reduce the stigma surrounding mental illness.

In addition to Jumpstart January, the Racers Empower Initiative has three other events planned for the spring semester: Friendship February, Mindful March and Active April.

The Racers Empower Initiative web page explains the next Racers Empower event, Friendship February, will be hosted Feb. 27 in Alexander Hall. The event will focus on friendship, feeling good about one’s self and mental and emotional well-being.

At the Mindful March event, students will learn how to review their midterm grades and meet with their academic advisor. The Active April event stresses the importance of exercise for a healthy mind and gives students a chance to celebrate the end of the semester.

Both Mindful March and Active April will be held in Alexander Hall on the last Monday of their respective months. In addition to other activities, Friendship February, Mindful March and Active April all will feature pet therapy.

To learn more about Jumpstart January and other Racers Empower events this semester, visit the Racers Empower web page on the Murray State website.