News Brief: Ally Hour serves to make campus more inclusive

The Pride Center is located in Blackburn Science Building Room 243. (Dionte Berry/The News)

Jill Smith, Staff Writer

Ally Hour is a new initiative from the Pride Center that aims to collaborate with faculty and staff on campus to create safe spaces for LGBTQ+ students on campus. 

This program began during the 2021-22 academic year as a follow-up for faculty and staff who completed Safe Zone Training. 

Safe Zone Training provides students, faculty and staff with the opportunity to explore their understanding and perceptions of the LGBTQ+ community. The training also provides individuals with a safe space to ask questions, according to murraystate.edu/lgbt. 

Abigail Cox, director of the Pride Center, said Ally Hour started offering this program to faculty and staff to engage in an ally-centered conversation. 

“Previously, additional training would focus on special topics,” Cox said. “As a means of opening up the conversation, we shifted to the Ally Hour model, which would allow for conversations amongst peers and a safe space to brainstorm and ask questions.”

These conversations are designed for faculty and staff to share strategies on how to address specific barriers or implement specific ideas. 

Cox said the sessions are not topic based and does not strive to create a safe space. 

“The goal of Ally Hour is to create opportunities for Murray State employees to collaborate in creating an environment that encourages students to engage and participate because they feel valued and welcome,” Cox said. “While our focus is specifically on creating this environment for students who identify as LGBTQ+, we hope that the conversation encourages reflection on the overall campus culture that we each help to create.”

Sessions are open conversations guided by attendees, and more than one topic can be discussed, depending on the participants. 

Ally Hour will continue to meet on a monthly basis on Zoom. 

To sign up for one of these sessions, visit murraystate.edu/lgbt.