Football loses Battle of the Border

Sophomore quarterback Jayden Stinson completed 50% of his passes and threw for a touchdown against the Austin peay Governors on Saturday, Oct. 15. Photo courtesy of Dave Winder/Racer Athletics.

Jakob Milani, Sports Editor

Another loss for Murray State’s football team puts the Racers at 0-7 on the season, as the Racers lost to their rival, the Austin Peay Governors, in the Battle of the Border on Saturday, Oct. 15.

Despite a strong first half effort for the second week in a row, the Racers could not get a point on the board in the second half.

Even with the loss, sophomore quarterback Jayden Stinson played well in his fourth career start, completing 50% of his passes for 185 yards and a touchdown.

The Governors got on the board first, as graduate quarterback Mike Diliello connected with sophomore wide receiver Drae McCray for a 14-yard touchdown with 11:52 left in the first quarter.

After a couple of punts, the Racers struck back with a 40-yard field goal from senior kicker Aaron Baum.

Once the Governors had the ball back, it took just two plays for another touchdown. Diliello threw a deep ball to sophomore wide receiver James Burns for a 78-yard touchdown catch.

Following another punt from the Racers, junior running back CJ Evans Jr. took a handoff 62 yards for a touchdown, ending the first quarter.

As the scoreboard switched over to the second quarter, the Governors were up 21-7.

Murray State got some points back when Stinson found senior wide receiver LaMartez Brooks for a 23-yard touchdown pass.

Despite the touchdown from the Racers, Austin Peay answered immediately, as freshman wide receiver Kam Thomas returned the kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown.

With the ball in Diliello’s hands on the Governors next drive, he attempted a pass on first down that was intercepted by junior defensive back Jarad McCray, putting the Racers at the Austin Peay 35-yard line.

They made the most of it, as backup freshman quarterback Lucas Maue came in and rushed one yard for a touchdown. The Racers were still in the game, with the Governors up 28-17 and 6:50 left in the first half.

Austin Peay struck one more time in the half, as Diliello rushed four yards for a touchdown late in the quarter, putting the Governors up 35-17 as the game went into halftime..

The second half was all Austin Peay, as the team scored two more touchdowns and a field goal in the second half, holding Murray State scoreless.

The first touchdown came when Evans Jr. rushed 16 yards to the endzone, putting the Governors up by 25 points.

A field goal late in the third quarter extended the Governors ‘lead even more, going up 45-17.

The last touchdown of the game came in the form of a 72-yard reception from Drae McCray. It was the icing on the cake, as the Governors defeated the Racers 52-17.

Diliello was 18-29 passing with 309 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. Drae McCray had five catches for 166 yards and two touchdowns, while Burns had 117 receiving yards and a touchdown. Evans had 89 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

Brooks had 104 receiving yards and a touchdown on eight  catches. Jarad McCray ended the day with an interception, five tackles and two tackles-for-loss.

Murray State turns its attention to the next OVC opponent, the Lindenwood Lions, who sit at 4-2 overall and 0-2 in OVC play.

The Racers are still in the hunt for their first win of the season, with just four games left.

The Lions have won their last two games, including a win over Eastern Illinois 37-34 in double overtime.

Murray State travels to St. Charles, Missouri, to take on the Lions on Saturday, Oct. 22. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.