News Brief: Campus police reaccredited for the fourth time

Police+Chief+JeffGentry++and+Police+Captain+Ryan+Orr+receive+MSU+PD%E2%80%99s+accreditation+certificate.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+%40murraystateuniv+on+Instagram%29+

Police Chief JeffGentry and Police Captain Ryan Orr receive MSU PD’s accreditation certificate. (Photo courtesy of @murraystateuniv on Instagram)

Dionte Berry, Editor-in-Chief

The Murray State Police Department has been accredited by the Kentucky Association of Chiefs of Police (KCAP) for the fourth time.

The accreditation evaluates the ways an agency can improve, how those improvements are implemented and overall performance.

“The KCAP Accreditation Program is one of the most valuable and cost effective ways currently available to departments that wish to enhance overall agency effectiveness and professionalism,” Police Chief Jeff Gentry said.

To be accredited by KCAP, Kentucky law enforcement agencies must meet or exceed the professional standards and practices accepted by Kentucky agencies.

KCAP administrators conducted an analysis of the current MSU Police Department (PD) and denoted operations that could be improved to meet objectives.

After the analysis, MSU PD was tasked with setting up procedures to improve and meet the objectives set for them.

“When the procedures are in place, a team of independent professionals is assigned to verify that all applicable standards have been successfully implemented,” Gentry said.

Gentry said the reaccreditation also shows the community that MSU PD is able to uphold a high standard of service.

“Accreditation serves to create a feeling of confidence among your residents that their police or sheriff department recognizes the importance of establishing and maintaining as high a degree of effectiveness and professionalism as possible,” Gentry said.