Baseball loses back-to-back non-conference games

Sophomore third baseman Bryson Bloomer hit a home run in the third inning against Memphis. Photo by Rebeca Mertins Chiodini/The News.

Jakob Milani
Sports Editor

After sweeping UT Martin the series before, Murray State baseball dropped back-to-back games against University of Memphis on Monday, April 18, and North Alabama University on Tuesday, April 19.

The Racers road trip took a bump in Memphis, Tennessee, when they allowed the Tigers to walk it off in the ninth inning, losing 5-4. They took another loss when the North Alabama Golden Lions held off a potential comeback to defeat the Racers 6-4.

Vs. MEMPHIS

Taking the bump to start the game for the Racers was junior left-handed pitcher Alex Jarrell, entering the game with a 6.16 ERA (Earned Run Average). He allowed just one hit in the first two innings and the Racers’ offense went into the top of the third trying to add some insurance runs for Jarrell.

Graduate second baseman Jordan Holly started the third inning with a single. The following two batters struck out, but Holly took advantage and stole second base to be in scoring position. 

Senior third baseman Bryson Bloomer followed it up with a walk, with Holly then stealing third. Sophomore shortstop Drew Vogel came up and hit a double to bring home Holly, and Bloomer scored on a wild throw that put the Racers up 2-0.

The Tigers had an answer in the bottom of the third as sophomore third baseman Logan Kohler hit a single that brought in graduate right fielder Blake Daniels to cut the Racers’ lead in half.

Each team added a run to their tallies in the fourth inning. The Racers struck in the top half of the inning as junior right fielder Seth Gardner singled to bring in freshman left fielder Carson Garner for a run.

Memphis kept the Racers’ lead at one run as Daniels hit a double to bring sophomore second baseman Austin Baskin around to score, cutting the Racers lead to one run

The fifth inning was scoreless for both teams. However, the Racers tacked on another run in the top of the sixth as graduate center fielder Jake Slunder doubled into the outfield and junior outfielder Brennan McCullough came home to score, putting the Racers up 4-2.

The Tigers didn’t back off as Kohler doubled to right center and brought in senior center fielder Zach Wilson to make it 4-3.

They then tied the game up in the bottom of the eighth inning as senior first baseman Chris Swanberg singled to center field and brought home Baskin.

As the bottom of the ninth inning came around, the Tigers were looking to walk it off. After the lead-off hitter grounded out to start the inning, Wilson smacked a home run to left-center on a 2-1 count, giving the Tigers the 5-4 win.

The Racers left eight runners on base in the game, striking out 11 times through 34 batters. They managed three RBIs on seven hits overall.

The Tigers had 10 hits and five RBIs on 33 at-bats, striking out seven times and leaving seven runners on base.

Vs. NORTH ALABAMA

The Lions were quick to score in the bottom of the first inning. Freshman third baseman Jonathan Lane reached base on an error, which allowed senior catcher Luke Harper to score from third base.

Another run was added in the first inning as junior second baseman Drew Hudson doubled to the outfield, bringing in Lane for the Lions second run of the game.

Bloomer had an answer in the top of the second inning as he hit a home run that also brought home sophomore second baseman Riley Hawthorne. That homer tied the game at 2 runs apiece.

Both teams went quiet until the bottom of the fifth inning as sophomore left fielder Garrett Smith doubled and brought in Hudson for a run.

Another run came in the bottom of the sixth when senior shortstop Reid Homan doubled and brought home Haper to make put the Lions up 4-2.

The Racers responded in the top of the seventh with a double from Gardner that brought home Hawthorne and Vogel to tie the game at 4.

The last two runs came for the Lions in the bottom of the seventh as Harper was walked with the bases loaded, bringing home freshman right fielder Zak Majer. Smith then scored on a passed ball, and that was all the scoring that came in the game. The Lions defeated the Racers 6-4.

The Racers managed four hits and four RBIs through 31 batters, with 14 striking out. The Lions had nine hits and five RBIs through 33 batters, with 13 striking out.

Murray State dropped to 18-18 on the season, with the conference record remaining at 4-8 as both games were non-conference games. The Racers travel to Charleston, Illinois, from Friday, April 22, through Sunday, April 24, as they take on the Eastern Illinois Panthers. First pitch on Friday is set for 1 p.m.