Staff elects Regent to fill vacant seat

Jessica Evans makes history as the first Black Staff Regent. (Photo Courtesy of murraystate.edu)

Raleigh Hightower
    Staff Writer

A staff member from the College of Education and Human Services was elected to the position of Staff Regent after a runoff election on Nov. 4.

Jessica Evans, Director of Assessment and Accreditation, will serve as Murray State’s fifth Staff Regent. Evans has served the University for almost eight years as a member of the Staff Congress.

The position of Staff Regent became vacant this semester following the passing of Phil Schooley. Schooley held the position of Staff Regent from 2009 to 2021.

“Phil and I worked very closely together during his tenure as regent and during my time on Staff Congress,” Evans said. “I am honored to continue Phil’s legacy as a strong advocate for staff in the capacity as Staff Regent.”

The selection process for Staff Regent is outlined under Kentucky state law and is consistent amongst all state universities. Staff Regents are required to have been employed by Murray State for three years; be classified as “non-teaching personnel” and cannot hold the positions of President, Vice-President or academic dean or chairperson.

Evans has been working at Murray State since 2010. Evans began her career at Murray State as an administrative assistant, but has also worked in the Office of Institutional Effectiveness as the Director of Assessment and Academic Program Review.

During her tenure on the Staff Congress, Evans served on several committees such as the President’s Commission on Student Retention and Budget Committees.

“I decided to run for Staff Regent because I wanted to continue serving as an advocate for staff concerns while working with other constituency Regents to move the University forward,” Evans said.

As Staff Regent, Evans plans to advocate for including cost of living increases to ensure that Murray State remains a competitive environment for recruiting and retaining staff.

Evans is also an advocate for incorporating a system that would compensate staff members who have completed additional training such as professional development training, educational degrees or trade certifications.

Evans hopes such a system would function similar to the tenure and promotion system offered to other faculty members.

Evans also hopes to lead initiatives that will directly help students. Such initiatives would include increases in scholarships and student support services and continued building maintenance across campus.

“I was a first-generation student and know that without financial support, it would have been almost impossible for me to attend college,” Evans said.

Evans’ election to the position of Staff Regent is also historic for Murray State. Evans is the first Black Staff Regent in Murray State’s history.

During the first staff regent election, Evans received 144 of the 393 votes. This allowed Evans to be one of two candidates that would progress to a runoff election. Evans received 206 votes to secure her position in the runoff election.

“Jessica has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to see issues from the standpoint of those who are working hard to make life better for themselves and their family,” said Orville Herndon, chair of the Staff Congress and Elections Committee.

After being a part of the Murray State community for 11 years, Evans is happy to continue her involvement in campus matters as the next staff regent.

“I hope my election to the Murray State Board of Regents will inspire others to pursue governance and elected positions,” Evans said. “As Murray State approaches its centennial, I look forward to this new opportunity to represent the staff and advance the University toward another 100 years.”