Soccer loses heartbreaker in OVC playoffs

Sophomore midfielder Audrey Henry scored the Racers lone goal in their loss to Tennessee Tech. Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics.

Rachel Essner
Staff Writer

The Murray State soccer team closed out their season with a 2-1 loss against Tennessee Tech University at Cutchin Field on Sunday, Oct. 31. 

The Golden Eagles scored the lone goal of the first half in the 23rd minute, making the score 1-0. 

It wasn’t until the 41st minute of the second half that the Racers tied the score at 1-1 with a goal from sophomore defender Audrey Henry, assisted by sophomore midfielder Hailey Cole.

The Golden Eagles, however, took the lead once again in the 44th minute after receiving a penalty kick, which deflected off of junior goalkeeper Jenna Villacres and found its way into the goal. Tennessee Tech took the game 2-1, and will continue to play in the OVC tournament. 

The Racers outshot the Golden Eagles 10-5 with seven shots on goal compared to two shots on goal from the Golden Eagles. Graduate forward Rebecca Kubin finished with three shots to lead the Racers. 

The Racers finished their season with a 9-8-1 overall record and 4-3-1 in the OVC.