Men’s golf coach to retire after 20 seasons

Head Coach Eddie Hunt announced his retirement from Murray State golf on Friday, March 26. (Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics)

Simon Elfrink

Sports Editor

Murray State men’s golf loses an integral part of their program as Head Coach Eddie Hunt announced his retirement on Friday, March 26. 

After 20 seasons leading the way for the Racers, Hunt decided the 2021 season will be his last in a Murray State as a coach. Hunt attended Murray State in the 1960s for his personal education, and to give back to the student-athletes in such a way has meant a lot to him. 

“I am very fortunate that I’ve been able to spend probably the last 50 or so years involved with Murray State,” Hunt said. “I started out as a student in the ‘60s, I graduated, took ROTC here and went in the army for two years as an officer. I served in Vietnam for two years and when I got out of the service I came back to Murray and did my graduate work and gained two more degrees and worked in school administration for six years, and really enjoyed it.”

Being a golf coach wasn’t on Hunt’s radar when he left Murray State for school administration. In fact, Hunt was fairly certain his calling was to take his administration to the collegiate level, but somewhere along the line he decided to pursue a business in sporting goods, which he did for 26 years. However, when the athletic director asked him to coach Murray State golf in 2001, the idea seemed appealing to Hunt. 

“When I was asked to take the job, I thought it was going to be on a temporary basis, basically,” Hunt said. “Maybe a year. When I started doing the job, I enjoyed it.” 

Hunt gave a lot of credit to Murray State’s women’s golf coach, Head Coach Velvet Milkman. Hunt said her experience and advice were invaluable in establishing his own coaching repertoire. 

“Murray State is very fortunate that we have her as the women’s golf coach,” Hunt said. “I consider her one of the best coaches in the country. I think we’re very fortunate that Velvet has spent her whole college career coaching at Murray State.”

Hunt said his goal when he started was to establish a competitive program not only on the golf course but also in the classroom. Based on his team’s collective 3.19 GPA over the past two decades, Hunt says he thinks they’ve accomplished that. 

“I tell my golfers that [when] they come to Murray State the first reason is for the academics and the second reason for golf.” Hunt said. “I think we carry a really strong team GPA, and I’m really proud of that.”

The men’s golf team has also earned that competitive reputation, having won an OVC Championship in 2010 and placing second in four seasons (2001, 2004, 2008, 2009). The Racers also placed third in 2003, 2005, 2011, 2012 and 2019. Hunt has coached some very established players throughout his time with the Racers, including four players who earned the OVC Player of the Year award: Brandon Henson (2001), Nick Newcomb (2010), Cameron Carrico (2011) and Patrick Newcomb (2012, 2013). Hunt himself earned the OVC Coach of the Year title in both the 2009 and 2010 seasons. 

Murray State’s Athletic Director Kevin Saal expressed his appreciation for Hunt in his 20 seasons with the Racers. 

“I want to thank Eddie for his selfless service to our men’s golf program and our athletics department over the last 20 years,” Saal said. “[He] has impacted the lives of many young men, developing them as students, persons, golfers and eventually professionals.” 

Hunt assured his players, as well as the entirety of the Racer Nation, that he won’t be far when it comes to supporting Murray State athletics from retirement. 

“I’m not going anywhere,” Hunt said. “I’m still going to be in Murray, and not only golf but I support all the activities. I’ve been a season ticket holder for football [and] basketball for probably 40 years or longer, so I’ll still be around quite a bit.” 

Hunt and the Racers will try to finish out his last season strong in the last three tournaments of the season, starting with the National Intercollegiate in Greensboro, Georgia on Monday, March 29 and Tuesday, March 30.