Rain cuts Gulf Coast Collegiate short

Senior Avery Edwards finished 11th after two rounds of play at the Gulf Coast Collegiate. (Photo courtesy of Dave Winder/Racer Athletics)

Andrea Jameson 

Contributing Writer 

The men’s golf team traveled to Diamondhead, Mississippi, to compete in the Gulf Coast Collegiate. Because of  inclement weather, they were not able to finish their third round.

The team was only able to finish 36 holes as the rain forced them home without a full three-round tournament.

Overall, the team placed sixth with a spot in 10th out of 12 teams. As a team, the Racers shot a line of 297-330 627. 

Although the weather stopped the team from performing a full three rounds, some scores were featured from the first round of the tournament. Senior Avery Edwards placed 11th with scores of 70-79—149 and senior Connor Coombs placed 32th with scores of 74-81—155. 

Senior Quinn Eaton carded a 76 during the first round and was not able to complete the second because of an injury. 

Other featured players included Senior Austin Knight, who placed 42nd with scores of 77-80—157 and  Sophomore Walker Beck placing 63rd with scores of 82-90—172. 

The team will travel to Jacksonville, Florida, to compete in the Benbow Collegiate on March 8-10.