Racer XC finishes 8th, 9th at OVCs

Story by Adam Redfern

Staff writer

The Murray State men’s and women’s cross country teams participated in the OVC championship this weekend, with the women finishing 8th and the men finishing 9th.

Seniors Rebekah Priddy and Ida Mutai led the women’s team as they finished 21st and 37th. Priddy’s time of 18:26.9 was also her best time of the season. Mutai finished with a time of 19:04.7, a 20-place improvement from her finish last year.

Freshmen Emma Creviston and Morgan Vosler finished in the third and fourth spot for the Racers, with Creviston placing 47th and Vosler finishing in 54th with a time of 19:28.5.

Sophomore Hilary McAdam rounded out the Top 5 for Murray State with a 70th-place finish.

Long distance coach Jordan Wallace was proud of her team, as they were able to strategically maneuver a new course in the OVC championship.

“We were able to review the course the night before,” Wallace said. “Most of our upperclassmen have raced on these courses in the past, but this course was new for everyone. I think the team did a good job of being able to handle the changes in the course.”

The men finished in the ninth overall spot for the championship. Senior Vince Turner led the Racers with a 37th-place finish, with a time of 25:56.7.

Junior Zach Balleau was the team’s second finisher as he placed 53rd with a time of 26:32.7. Sophomore Caleb Kawasaki finished 58th with a time of 26:52.9.

Sophomore Meyer Makemson and junior Tyler Bradley rounded out the Top 5 for the Racers as they finished 68th and 75th, respectively.

Both the men and women beat Austin Peay this year to get three points a piece for the Heritage Bank Battle of the Border.