Baseball sweeps mid-week series

Rebeca Mertins Chiodini
Vogel goes to hug Hawthrone after hitting a homerun.

The Murray State baseball team played a two-game series in the middle of the week against the Skyhawks of UT Martin and they were able to take both games.

The Racers outscored the Skyhawks 20-9 through the two games, as the Racers’ offense came to play, especially in the second game. This improves the team’s overall record on the season to 28-17 and their win streak to three games.

Game 1

The first game of the brief two-game series was a close one that the Racers were able to win 2-1 in extra innings.

The Skyhawks took a 1-0 lead in the third inning, and that lead lasted all the way until junior infielder Carson Garner tied it at one apiece for the Racers. And the next score was in the tenth inning when redshirt junior infielder Riley Hawthorne drew a walk with the bases loaded that got the Racers the win.

Graduate student Ryan Fender got the start for the Racers on the mound. He was able to pitch four innings and only allowed three hits in what was a decent start.

Game 2

The second game was nothing like the first, as the Racers were able to get a mercy rule in the seventh inning after they went up 18-8.

The Racers’ offense showed out in the win with 18 runs on 12 hits. The star of the game was graduate student first baseman Taylor Howell, as he was four for four at the plate and finished with four runs batted in.

As for the pitching, sophomore Ethan Lyke got the start, but was only able to pitch the first inning. Graduate student Cade Brown got the win and pitched three innings in relief and tallied up six strikeouts.

What’s Next

The Racers will be looking to continue their win streak in their next series against the Bears of Missouri State on the road. The first game will be played on Friday, May 3, at 3 p.m.