Volleyball struggles in last home weekend

Jako
Senior libero Dahlia Miller serves against Northern Iowa.

The Murray State volleyball team came into their final home weekend of the season after gaining a win from their last match against Valparaiso. However, the Racers were not able to get any momentum and ended up losing both games over the weekend.

Missouri State

The Racers looked to win their second match in a row on Friday against Missouri State but they were not able to start a winning streak, as they lost 3-1. The biggest factor in the match was the 14 total points the Bears got off of serves compared to the Racers’ six.

The Racers were able to take the first set 25-19 as a result of great play from middle blocker Elisa Dozio. She tallied up five kills in the set, including one that came late in the set and sealed it for the Racers.

The second set went to Missouri State with a score of 25-18. The free points the Racers gave up throughout the course of the set proved to be the deciding factor. The Racers tallied 12 errors in the set, three of which were all in a row late in the set. This allowed the Bears to regain momentum and close the set.

The third set was much closer than the second but ended in the same result and went to the Bears with a score of 25-23. The Racers had a 22-18 lead late in the set, but Missouri State was able to go on a six-point streak to gain the lead.

The fourth and final set went to the Bears 25-21 as they ended the Racers’ hopes of building a winning streak to end the season. The key factor in the set for Missouri State was junior outside hitter Deja Bickers tallying seven kills in the set, one of which was the final point.

Southern Illinois

The Racers went into their match on Saturday against Southern Illinois looking to avoid starting another losing streak, but they were not able to do so, as they lost 3-1. Every stat was close between the two teams, but the Racers just couldn’t pull it off.

For the second match in a row, the Racers took the first set, winning with a score of 25-21. One of the keys in the set for the Racers was the solid play from senior outside hitter Darci Metzger. She tallied five kills in the set and led the Racers in kills in the match with 16.

The second set went down to the wire, and SIU took it with a score of 25-23. Neither team was able to go on too big of a run, but it was the Salukis who were able to put together a smaller streak of points and close out the set.

The third set was not as close, as SIU won 25-17. Their key player in the set was senior outside hitter Nataly Garcia. She tallied six kills in the set and also led in kills in the match with 17.

The Salukis closed out the match in the fourth set as they won 25-22. The Racers once again had some troubles with errors, tallying up eight in the set, two of which were back-to-back to end the match.

What’s Next

The Racers will look to end this losing streak of two as they go back on the road for their next two games next weekend. The first will be played on Friday, Nov. 10 against the Sycamores of Indiana State and the second will be played the following day against the Evansville Aces.