Burnett wins first MVC Player of the Week

Rebeca Mertins Chiodini
Freshman middle blocker Lily Burnett goes to block a shot against Evansville.

The Murray State volleyball team’s success continued in the early stages of the season as middle blocker Lily Burnett won Missouri Valley Conference Freshman of the Week after her debut weekend with the Racers.

Burnett was a key part of the Racers’ wins in their home opening weekend against Evansville and Indiana State. In her debut against the Aces, she posted two block solos, two block assists, and four kills as the Racers swept Evansville 3-0.

It was in her second game against Indiana State where she really made her impact. She tallied up 11 kills with a .611 hitting percentage, while also getting one block solo and five block assists. One of her kills was the winning point in the second set which led to the Racers getting the win in the match.

Burnett is the first Racer to win MVC Freshman of the Week since now sophomore outside hitter Federica Nuccio won the award towards the beginning of last season. This also means that Burnett is the second Racer to ever win the award, as Nuccio’s Freshman of the Week award was the first MVC award that the Racers won since joining.

Burnett and the Racers will be back in action in Racer Arena on Friday, Sept. 29 against the Lady Redbirds of Illinois State at 6 p.m. The Racers will look to bounce back after a hard-fought loss on the road against Belmont in their last game.