Series sweep puts softball one game out of first

Junior second baseman Lindey Carroll had three RBIs and three walks in the series against Tennessee Tech. Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics.

Jakob Milani
Sports Editor

A combined 24 runs was enough for the Murray State softball team to sweep the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles in Cookeville, Tennessee, on Saturday, April 30, and Sunday, May 1.

The Racers batted in 22 runs in the three-game series, including two home runs, one of which was a grand slam from sophomore catcher Taylor Jackson.

GAME ONE

Junior right-handed pitcher Hannah James took her 16-4 record to the mound as she was named the starter for game one.

The Racers’ offense was quick to give her run support as junior second baseman Lindsey Carroll drew a bases-loaded walk with two outs to bring home senior shortstop Sierra Gilmore.

James took the mound in the bottom of the first and threw just six pitches as the first three Eagles batters went down in order. At the end of the first inning, the Racers led 1-0.

While James struggled a bit in the bottom of the second, giving up two walks and a hit, the Eagles weren’t able to capitalize, leaving the bases loaded.

In the top of the fourth inning, the Racers again loaded the bases on two outs. They added to their total as junior third baseman Gracie Osbron hit a sacrifice fly, allowing senior center fielder Logan Braundmeier to tag up and score.

After loading the bases again in the top of the fifth, sophomore pinch hitter Victoria Garland stepped up and singled to single center field, allowing sophomore pinch runner Brea Croslin to score from third base and put the Racers up 3-0.

The Eagles were able to put a run on the board in the bottom of the fifth. After sophomore second baseman Mackenzie Fitzgerald reached second on a wild pitch, sophomore third baseman Carmen Betts singled to the outfield. Fitzgerald reached home and cut the Racers lead to two runs.

A single from freshman left fielder Isabella Wilson brought in Carroll and sophomore first baseman Lily Fischer to add two more runs for the Racers in the top of the sixth.

Senior shortstop Sydney Love-Baker answered with a two-run homer to straight away center field, making the score 5-3 with the Racers still up.

The Racers topped off their scoring in the seventh with a triple from Fischer that brought Osbron around to score, and then a sacrifice fly from Carroll to bring home Fischer.

With no runs from the Eagles in the bottom of the seventh, the Racers defeated the Eagles 7-3.

GAME TWO

The Racers were quick to get out in front in game two. With Braundmeier on second base, Gilmore hit a single to center field to bring in the first run of the first inning.

After a double from Osbron moved Gilmore to third base, Fischer hit a sacrifice fly to bring her in for the second run.

Another three runs came in for the Racers in the top of the second with a three-run home run that brought in Wilson and freshman right fielder Erin Lackey, putting the Racers up 5-0.

The Eagles answered in the bottom of the third with a homerun from senior center fielder Shelby Penning to make it 5-1, with the Racers still on top.

The Racers’ tally kept climbing in the top of the fifth inning as Carroll was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, bringing Gilmore home for a run.

Jackson put the exclamation point on the game as she hit a home run to left field, a grand slam that brought in Carroll, Fischer and Osbron. That marked the last runs of the game as the Racers defeated the Eagles 10-1 in five innings.

GAME THREE

The Eagles were the ones up early in game three as they put three runs on the board in the bottom of the first.

Betts singled with two runners on, bringing in Fitzgerald for the first run. Then, senior first baseman Haeli Bryson doubled, allowing sophomore right fielder Sydney Dukes to score.

The scoring ended with a single from sophomore designated hitter Abby Buettner that allowed Dukes to cross the plate and put the Eagles up 3-0.

Lackey started the scoring for the Racers in the top of the second with a single that allowed Jackson to cross the plate for the first run.Wilson then scored on a wild pitch that put the Racers down one.

Another two runs crossed home in the top of the fifth inning. Braundmeier scored off of a sacrifice fly from Gilmore, and Osbron trotted home thanks to a bases-loaded walk drawn by Jackson.

Gilmore again added on in the top of the sixth inning with a single up the middle to bring in Braundmeier and Lackey. Fischer had the last laugh with a single to left field, allowing Gilmore to cross home plate.

A scoreless home side of the seventh by the Eagles marked the end of the series. The Racers defeated Tennessee Tech 7-3, completing the series sweep.

Murray State tallied 22 RBIs in the series while striking out 10 times through the three games. Tennessee Tech batted in all seven of their runs in the series and struck out nine times.

The Racers improve to 35-14-1 overall this season with a second place 19-6 record in conference play, just one game behind the first place team.

Murray State ends their season with a three-game home series against Morehead State. Game one is set for 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 7, with games two and three being played on Sunday, May 8 at noon and 2 p.m.