Softball extends win streak to 14 straight wins

Freshman infielder Erin Lackey hit a walk-off single in game one to give the Racers a 2-1 victory over Austin Peay. Photo courtesy of Jesse Ordunez/Racer Athletics.

Jakob Milani
Sports Editor

A two-game series sweep over the Austin Peay Governors on Tuesday, March 29, pushed the Murray State softball team’s win streak to 14 straight wins.

A walk-off single in the first game and a shutout pitching performance in the second game was enough to give the Racers the series win over the Governors.

GAME ONE

Junior right-handed pitcher Hannah James took the mound for the Racers in game one. She entered the game with a 8-11 record on the season and started 27 games on the season with 149 strikeouts up to that point.

James was quick to strike in the first inning as she struck out all three batters in the top of the first.

The Racers were unable to capitalize as they left two runners on base in the bottom of the second, including senior right fielder Logan Braundmeier who hit a single up the middle to start the bottom half of the inning.

James continued her dominance on the mound with three more strikeouts in the top of the second inning and another two batters in the top of the third inning, bringing her strikeout total to eight for the game.

It wasn’t until the fifth inning that the Governors made their first hit of the series with a single from graduate shortstop Brooke Pfefferle. She was then thrown out at second on the following play when junior third baseman Gracie Osbron threw a ground ball over to junior second baseman Lindsey Carroll.

Freshman designated hitter Kylie Campbell was the first to score in the top of the fifth inning after a single from junior left fielder Kendyl Weinzapfel brought her to the plate to give the Governors a 1-0 lead.

James managed to strike out the last batter of the inning though to bring her strikeout total for the game up to nine.

The Racers left more runners total on base in the fifth and sixth innings, leaving five runners on base through six innings.

As the game went into the final inning, the Governors starting pitcher, senior right-hander Harley Mullins, had just one strikeout but had held the Racers scoreless.

Singles from sophomore catcher Taylor Jackson and freshman outfielder Isabella Wilson, who was in to pinch hit, set the Racers up to tie the game. However, freshman infielder Erin Lackey, who was batting .133 on the season, put enough power on the ball to bring both runners home and give the Racers a walk-off 2-1 victory.

James struck out nine batters in the Racers ninth win of the season. Despite leaving five runners on base in the game, Lackey’s third hit of the season was enough for the Racers’ win.

GAME TWO

Game two saw a seven-inning pitchers’ duel between the Racers and the Governors. Sophomore right-hander Kamryn Carcich took the mound for her eighth pitching appearance of the season, boasting a 1.33 ERA heading into the game.

The Governors were quick to shake Carcich with a double from senior third baseman Lexi Osowski, but Carcich forced the last batter into a line out in center field to end the top half of the inning.

Austin Peay’s starting pitcher, sophomore right-hander Jordan Benefiel, took the mound for the 20th time this season, sporting a 3.05 ERA. Her first inning of play saw a strikeout and two groundouts, leaving Murray State hitless after the first inning.

Carcich allowed another hit in the top of the second when senior first baseman Emily Harkleroad singled to left field. Carcich then walked sophomore catcher Mea Clark before ending the inning with a popout and leaving two runners on base.

The bottom of the second inning was where Benefiel started to struggle as she allowed a double from Osbron followed by hitting Jackson and sophomore first baseman Lily Fischer with pitches.

With the bases loaded, Wilson stepped up to the plate and got her eighth hit of the season to bring in Osbron and Jackson, giving the Racers a 2-0 lead.

Those were the only runs the Racers needed as sophomore right-hander Jenna Veber took over in the fourth inning and held the Governors scoreless for the remainder of the game.

Despite striking out six times and leaving five runners on base, the Racers defeated the Governors by a score of 2-0.

Veber and Carcich combined for the win, striking out just three batters and allowing three hits between the two pitchers. The Racers had just three hits in 21 plate appearances, with those hits coming from Wilson, Osbron and Fischer.

Murray State improves to 24-8 on the season and 8-0 in conference play. The Racers will travel to Eastern Illinois to take on the Panthers in a three game series on Saturday, April 2, and Sunday, April 3.