Japan off limits for fall 2021 travel abroad

Study Abroad advisors Steven Gunns and Rebecca Wylie in the Abroad Office. (Photo by Jayden Hayn)

Mason Galemore
Contributing Writer

The Murray State Study Abroad Office announced all travel to Japan will be cancelled during the fall  2021 semester. The CDC placed restrictions because of the rising COVID-19 cases in Japan.

While entry into Japan has been restricted, other countries such as South Korea, where three Murray State students currently are studying, have seen less restrictions.

Study Abroad Director Melanie McCallon Seib led the effort for students wanting to study in Japan. Seib said the main reasons these plans were cancelled were to ensure the safety of the students and staff and the many factors that decide whether a student can study abroad during a pandemic.

“Certain universities in Japan were closed or resorted to virtual learning; the CDC also designates pandemic case levels for each country,” Seib said. “For Japan, that number is four, which restricts travel. Countries like Germany  and South Korea are safer to visit. The U.S. State Department also denied student visas to the Murray State students who were going to Japan.”

One of the Murray State Study Abroad academic advisors for Japan is Yoko Hatakeyama. Hatakeyama assists students in choosing the right courses to create a positive Study Abroad experience.She also gives moral support to students, encouraging them to pursue studying abroad.

“I felt very sorry for the students who prepared to study in Japan for a long time,” Hatakeyama said. “Studying abroad not only improves their linguistic skills, but also helps to deepen their knowledge about Japan while learning Japanese culture first hand.”

Junior international studies major Sophia Nardi was one of the students who planned to study in Japan. Nardi planned to study under the Full Year Exchange Program at Doshisha University, Kyoto, Japan in 2021-22. 

“With the University being located in the traditional city of Kyoto, I could have learned so much about Japan’s culture and history,” Nardi said. “The campus seemed beautiful and inviting to students like me who were interested in studying abroad in Japan.”

Nardi plans to use the time she has at Murray State to continue her studies. Even though she is disappointed she understands why her plans abroad were cancelled. 

“I am disappointed that I was unable to go on the trip I spent so much time planning for, but I also understand that safety and health are more important in these situations,” Nardi said. “I will use this next semester to catch up with friends and continue my studies at Murray State to stay on track to graduate.”

Nardi said she will be looking for opportunities to study abroad in Japan before she graduates in  Spring  2023.

Despite Japan and other countries being off limits this fall semester, there are still plans to visit these countries in Spring 2022.