Softball’s season ends just short of the OVC Tournament

Senior infielder Sierra Gilmore and junior pitcher Hannah James each received OVC recognition after their last week of play. (Photo courtesy of Dave Winder/Racer Athletics)

Jakob Milani

Sports Editor

The Murray State softball team’s came to an end on Saturday, May 8, despite ending the season with a series sweep over the Morehead State Eagles. With a 19-15 conference record, the Racers finished sixth in the OVC, missing the OVC Tournament by three games.

The Racers ended their season on a high note, sweeping the Eagles at home in their final series of the season. The Racers outscored the Eagles 20-5 in the series, with nine of the runs coming from home runs.

Murray State took game one of the series 14-4, hitting two grand-slams in the process and short-gaming the Eagles in five innings. The second game was more competitive with the Racers taking the win 5-1. The Eagles took the Racers to extra innings for game three, but the Racers walked away with the sweep in the eighth inning, taking the win by a score of 1-0.

Senior shortstop Sierra Gilmore led the way for the Racers in the series. She went 5-8 at the plate in the series with a grand slam in game one and two doubles. She batted in six total runners in the series. Gilmore finished the season slashing .327 with 51 hits, 40 RBIs and five home runs.

Senior right fielder Logan Braundmeier was 3-9 in the series, including a double in game one and two RBIs. Braundmeier finished the season hitting .277 with 46 hits, 22 RBIs and six home runs.

Redshirt senior first basemen ended the series going 2-8 at the plate, including a grand slam in game one. She finished her final season batting .143 with 20 hits and 13 RBIs. Senior outfielder Jenna Striegel finished her season batting .269 with 42 hits and five RBIs.

Redshirt senior right-hander Taylor Makowsky finished the season with a 5-3 record. She had a 3.16 ERA on the season, giving up 63 hits, walking 25 batters and allowing 25 earned runs.

The Racers finished the season with a 22-29 record overall. They swept two series this year against the SIUE Cougars and the Eagles. The Racers also split their series against Austin Peay, winning their two games at home against the Governors.