Tennis shuts out UT Martin

Senior Stasya Sharapova returns the ball with a backhand volley. (Photo courtesy of Dan Hasko/Racer Athletics)

Andrea Jameson 

Contributing Writer 

The Murray State women’s tennis team shut out the University of Tennessee at Martin 7-0 on Friday, April 2 in Martin, Tennessee. The Racers now lead the OVC with a 3-0 record in conference play. 

Doubles players sophomore Marit Kreugel and senior Stasya Sharapova swept the court with a 6-0 score. Contributing to the win, freshman Gabrielle Geolier and senior Anja Loncarevic made a close match of 7-5, securing the doubles point for the Racers. Freshman Sarah Bureau and senior Sara Loncarevic barely missed their doubles point 6-3. 

The Racers dominated singles play against UT Martin. Sharapova won two of her three sets (6-2, 3-6, 6-2) to add another point for the Racers. Geolier also took her opponent three rounds (6-4, 4-6, 6-1). 

Anja Loncarevic brushed court five with scores of 6-0 and 6-2. Kreugel followed suit with the same score on court four with her singles win, along with freshman Sarah Bureau on court three with sets of 6-3 and 6-0. Senior Sara Loncarevic won her sets by opponent retirement with four sets on court one with set points of (6-4, 4-6, 2-0)

The Racers will look to continue their excellence in conference play when they go head-to-head against SEMO on Wednesday, April 7, in Cape Girardeau, Missouri for another OVC matchup.