Speech and Debate Union win three tournaments

Emery Wainscott
Contributing Writer

The Speech and Debate Union (SDU) won three of three tournaments this semester during Director of Forensics Lou Tillson’s first year as coach.

The SDU competed in the 2021 academic year against teams from across the country. Last semester, the team had planned to compete in four tournaments but two were canceled because of COVID-19.

Tillson said the team suffered a negative impact last spring when the University switched to remote learning. The switch caused the team’s final tournament of the year, the Pi Kappa Delta National Comprehensive Tournament, to be canceled. 

This year, the team won multiple awards at the virtually-held Pi Kappa Delta National Comprehensive Tournament. Both Duo Interpretation teams placed in the top 20. Senior psychology major Ashlen Grubbs placed seventh in poetry and twelfth in program oral interpretation, as well as advanced to the top-twelve semifinals in those categories. Garrett Kieser and Victoria Lindsey placed in the top 30 in parliamentary debate and Student Head Debate Coach Josh Sanders placed in the top 30 for the Varsity International Public Debate Association. 

All three of the tournaments this season have been conducted virtually. Tillson said some tournaments have been synchronous, whereas others have been a mix of both synchronous and asynchronous. 

“The online tournaments have run similar to a giant Zoom meeting with breakout meeting rooms

for individual teams and for each round of each event,” Tillson said. “There are typically 2-5 initial rounds with the highest scoring competitors advancing to multiple elimination rounds.” 

Because of the changes this year, Tillson said not only do students have to worry about the tournament, but they also have to worry about technology issues as well as social distancing and masks.

“Trying to speak clearly and engagingly is particularly challenging when half of your face is covered and your voice is muffled, or your partner can’t even be in the same room with you,” Tillson said. “The rewards, on the other hand, are that we’ve gotten to compete at tournaments we wouldn’t have been able to physically attend.” 

The team competed in debate-only tournaments, including some which featured individual events, such as public address, limited preparation and interpretation. Other tournaments the team has competed in include the Kentucky Forensics Association State Tournament, The Big Apple Debate Tournament in New York, Climb the Mountain Debate Tournament in California and BBQ Capital of the World in Kentucky. 

Despite the virtual aspect, Tillson said she feels proud of the team’s response to challenges this year.

“They have met every challenge with a can-do attitude,” Tillson said. “They’ve handled wins with humility and losses with dignity. I am blown away by their talent and ability to manage all of the challenges thrown at them. It has been my honor to work with them this year.”

Tillson began her professional career as a director of forensics 30 years ago in West Virginia, her home state. She said the SDU is beneficial for students, both on their resume and in developing and refining communication skills. 

“In my opinion, there is no better extra-curricular activity for any student,” Tillson said. “The communication skills developed are beneficial not only in college, but also throughout the rest of their professional and personal life.”

Tillson, who has taught 29 years as a professor, oversees the Murray State Speech and Debate Union. Tillson was hired after Crystal Coel, the former director of forensics, retired last summer. 

“Although no one will ever ‘replace’ my former colleague, Dr. Crystal Coel, I was hired to take over as DoF when she retired last summer., Tillson said.“My department chair, Dr. R. Michael Bokeno, dean, Dr. David Eaton, and provost, Tim Todd, were instrumental in helping me transition seamlessly into this role.” 

Tillson works very closely on SDU with her graduate assistant, Deshawn Robinson, and students on the team, including Sanders, President Chris Stewart, First Vice President Rachel Fischer, Second Vice President Brennan Hughes and Secretary Victoria Lindsey.

Michael Bokeno, department chair of Organizational Communication and Leadership, said Tillson has maintained the tradition of the SDU winning regional and national notoriety.

“The team is well coached and competitive, having won 3/3 of the past events; what they do turns regional and national attention to Murray State and the Department of Organizational Communication and Leadership,” Bokeno said. “It is my pleasure to continue to support them.”

Tillson said anyone interested in competing with the team can contact her at [email protected].