Morant continues to leave his mark on Murray State with recovery room donation

Former Racer and 2020 NBA Rookie of the Year Ja Morant donated a new rest and recovery room to his alma mater. (Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics and Hyperice)

Simon Elfrink

Staff Writer

Former Murray State basketball star Ja Morant continues to give back to the Racer Nation with the donation of a brand new recovery room for Racers to enjoy.

The NBA Rookie of the Year teamed up with Hyperice, a recovery and performance technology brand, to design the recovery room, which will be dubbed the “Murray State Recovery Zone.” The room will feature NBA-approved recovery technology for the benefit of Murray State Athletics.

The Daily Memphian described Morant’s announcement as a surprise, appearing only for a brief Zoom call to tell Murray State Athletics about the room’s design and construction.

“I’m just here to say congrats on the [Murray State Recovery Zone],” Morant said. “Hopefully it’s done soon. Use those items to recover faster and move better.”

The room  will feature the same professional equipment used by Morant himself, in addition to a mural of the phenomenal player.

“I always tell myself that my body makes my money,” Morant said. “I always try to go out and play the hardest that I can. This is just a congrats and a good luck on the season. I will be there supporting wherever I can. Keep working!”

Racer basketball Head Coach Matt McMahon appeared on Twitter to thank Morant for his generosity. McMahon’s post included a picture of the room’s design and a shoutout to Hyperice as the “official recovery technology partner of Murray State Basketball.”

“Special thanks to Racer Legend [Morant] for continuing to generously give back to Murray State,” McMahon said. “Our basketball program is thrilled to partner with [Hyperice]!”