Racers oust Bearcats with offensive onslaught

Junior forward Devin Gilmore goes up for a layup against Brescia University. (Photo by Gage Johnson/TheNews)

Gage Johnson

Sports Editor

After a tough road loss to the University of Tennessee, Murray State men’s basketball returned to the CFSB Center and demolished Brescia University 114-48.

The Racers led 3-0 before junior guard Ricky Shuford threw down a thunderous dunk, silencing cheers from the crowd. After that dunk, though, it was all Murray State. The Racers jumped out to a 21-8 lead, with senior forward Anthony Smith (six points) and sophomore guard Tevin Brown (seven points) combining for 13 of the Racers’ points.

Murray State kept its foot on the gas, going on a 10-2 run nearly a minute later, taking a 31-12 lead. Thanks to nine Racers putting points on the board in the first half, as well as a double-double from Anthony Smith (11 points and 12 rebounds), Murray State went into the locker room with a 57-29 lead.

Smith was all over the glass, finishing the night with 13 points and 14 rebounds, four of which were on the offensive end. Head Coach Matt McMahon said it’s the senior forward’s work ethic that allowed him to be so successful against the Bearcats.

“Anthony I think really impacted the game with his motor,” McMahon said. “He had a double-double at halftime and we didn’t run a single play for him. He just plays so hard.”

While Anthony may not be a huge factor in terms of a go-to scorer, that’s completely fine with him.

“I know when I’m locked in, I’m able to do anything on the floor,” Smith said. “As far as the defensive side [goes], that’s my strong suit. I like being the physical [guy] for the team, so that’s pretty much what I’m here for and the offensive side will come.”

The Racers continued to show dominance on both ends of the floor in the second half, holding Brescia to 22% shooting while matching their first half total of 57 points to come away with the 114-48 win.

Murray State had a plethora of scorers finish in double figures, one of whom was sophomore forward KJ Williams, who was the third-highest scorer on the team despite only playing 11 minutes.

This is what McMahon expects from Williams and he knows Williams will continue to improve as the season progresses.

“I think he had a typical night for what he’s shown here in his first year and three games,” McMahon said. “[He] set the school record last year for field goal percentage around 70 and I think he’s picked up where left off. I think you’ve seen him expand and knock down a 15-foot jumper early tonight and shot the ball well from three at Tennessee. [We] just want to keep challenging him to get better and better.”

All five of the Racers’ bigs finished in double figures, as Williams scored 14, Smith scored 13, senior forward Darnell Cowart scored 13, junior forward Devin Gilmore scored 10 and freshman forward Demond Robinson put on a 12-point second-half performance to finish the night with 16 rebounds.

Although the team already has four established bigs, Robinson has come in and shown on multiple occasions that he can contribute right away and that’s something McMahon is really looking forward to for the rest of the season.

“It’s challenging from my standpoint,” McMahon said. “I think all five have been very productive for us. All five guys impact the team in different ways. Demond has made a lot of progress in the last two weeks. I think he’s really going to help our team this year and I’m really excited about his future here.”

Murray State’s bench was responsible for 62 of its points on the night, with 20 points coming from freshman guard Chico Carter Jr. to go along with his team-leading nine assists and five rebounds.

Carter Jr. had his teammates to thank for his performance against the Bearcats and believes that he can do this for the Racers whenever need be.

“My teammates push me everyday in practice,” Carter Jr. said. “Telling me to just take control and just make the right plays and slow it down in my head. I feel like I did that tonight.”

The walk-on freshman guard Rod Thomas even got in the action, draining a three in the latter half of the game. Carter Jr. said Thomas may be a walk-on on paper, but to the team he’s another guy that can bring a lot to the table. 

Smith appreciates the work ethic and competitiveness that Thomas brings to the team.

“I was really happy for Rod,” Smith said. “I told him the other day, I’m really proud of how he takes just coming to practice and working hard and not pouting about his time in the game. He just comes in to work day in and day out.”

Murray State will finish its two-game homestand before the Gulf Coast Showcase during Thanksgiving week when they take on Southern Illinois University at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 19, at the CFSB Center.